Related services and key industries
Jehan-Philippe Wood is an insurance and litigation lawyer based in Perth.
He joined the Perth office of Norton Rose Fulbright in February 2015 having been a Partner in the London office of Fulbright & Jaworski and then Norton Rose Fulbright.
Jehan-Philippe acts for insurers, corporates and individuals in connection with insurance coverage disputes, commercial litigation, contentious regulatory work and government and corporate investigations. He advises local and London market insurers on risks across different sectors, including general liability, professional indemnity, directors and officers and crime/fidelity risks. He has extensive experience of advising local and London insurers in connection with policy wordings and coverage disputes under financial institutions, professional indemnity and D&O insurance policies and defending claims made against professional services firms. He has represented companies and individuals in complex and high value commercial litigation, including disputes arising out of some of the most high profile matters to have affected the London financial services sector in recent years.
Jehan-Philippe is a member of Norton Rose Fulbright’s Business, Ethics and Anti Corruption Group in Australia. He advises corporates and individuals in connection with corruption and financial crime, internal and external investigations, contentious regulatory matters and litigation. His experience includes advising in connection with regulatory and professional investigations, corporate governance issues, compliance programmes and risk assessments, including emerging business and human rights risks. He has advised financial institutions, corporates and individuals in connection with a wide range of contentious regulatory matters, including investigations led by the FSA, the FCA, HMRC, the JFSC, the GFSC, the Council of Lloyd’s, the DOJ and the SEC.
Jehan-Philippe is admitted in Australia and England and Wales.
- 2016 - The College of Law, Western Australia
- 2015-2016 - University of Western Australia, Extension (Continuing Education)
- 1996 – Law School Finals , College of Law
- 1995 – Jurisprudence 2:1, Christ Church Oxford
- Supreme Court of Western Australia 2016
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales 1999
- Representing a UK corporate stockbroker and its insurers in connection with a group action by over 200 claimants for over £30m arising from the promotion, sponsorship and management of film finance investment partnerships.
- Advising the London insurance market in relation to Madoff related losses and claims.
- Advising London market insurers and a UK-based advisory stockbroking firm in connection with the defence of multiple claims of negligent advice and mis-selling arising out of trading in high risk investments.
- Advising a large German bank in connection with the largest conduit holding commercial paper programme linked to US sub-prime loans including multi-party, multi-jurisdictional litigation in London and New York in multi-billion dollar claims, including actions by the SEC.
- Advising a European financial institution in connection with LIBOR related claims.
- Advising the Chief Actuary of a Lloyd’s motor syndicate in connection with an investigation by the Council of Lloyd’s and enforcement proceedings by the Lloyd’s Enforcement Board.
- Defending a Lloyd's syndicate in the first ever Tier 2 Lloyd's of London Arbitration.
- Defending a pensions administration business against claims by a group of investors relating to investments made through their SIPPs, before the Pensions Ombudsman and in the High Court.
- Representing one of the UK’s largest retail banks in connection with FCA-led regulatory investigations relating to wealth management services and related compliance issues.
- Assisting a large UK investment manager in connection with an investigation by the FSA arising out of the Pension Review.
- Advising a world-leading provider of security services in connection with potential claims against certain financial advisers in connection with the proposed acquisition of a world-leading facility service provider and a related rights issue, neither of which proceeded.
- Handling multiple large claims in South Korea, including a USD$5 billion claim, involving some of Asia’s largest corporations, and advising and reporting to London market re-insurers on these claims.
- Advising a UK wealth management firm on regulatory and commercial issues arising out of its dealings as principal and agent.
- Advising a leading Nordic financial services group on the prospects of claims being made in connection with certain back to back energy derivatives contracts concluded with a leading US investment bank under an ISDA Master Agreement.
- Successfully pursuing a claim in the Chancery Division of the High Court on behalf of an international hotel business against its mortgage debenture trustees for the withdrawal from a mortgage portfolio of a property charged under a trust deed.
- Advising firms on the defence and settlement of claims relating to the collapse of the Split Capital Investment Trust market in the UK.
- Bringing enforcement proceedings in the High Court and Court of Appeal on behalf of a Saudi Arabian client in connection with a judgment for damages obtained against a defendant found guilty of fraud and co-ordinating similar proceedings in France, Italy and Switzerland.
- Advising one of the largest internet gaming companies in the world on transaction processing arrangements with US and German based businesses and a potential dispute between the client and its German and US-based counterparts in the English and German courts.
- Advising an international offshore drilling company on claims to be brought in the High Court in connection with payment for the construction of a drill ship.
- Advising a Greek bank on the options available under English law to enforce a payment order obtained in Greece against assets of the defendant located in England.
- Representing a Greek shipping business in a High Court action for the recovery of moneys lent to another Greek shipping business.
- Advising a UK based oil and gas company on the consequences of early termination of a long term oil supply contract.
- Advising a UK based oil and gas services company on the consequences of a delay in the provision of equipment and services for drilling operations in the Irish Sea.
- Advising companies on responses to complaints made to OECD National Contact Points.
- Advising UK listed companies on human rights related corporate reporting requirements.
- Advising UK-based asset managers, investment managers and pension fund trustees on human rights related issues arising out of their asset management activities.
Jehan-Philippe qualified as a solicitor in England in 1999. He regularly presents and writes articles on a range of topics relating to financial services, insurance and business and human rights. Recent examples are:
- Submission to the Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and Trade inquiry into the establishment of a Modern Slavery Act in Australia (May 2017)
- Update on the UK Modern Slavery Bill (February 2015)
- Co-Author: “UK appeal court reduces payout risk for mis-sellers”, OpRisk, 30 April 2014 and “Claimants get but one bit of the cherry”, Insurance Focus, March 2014 (both articles relating to the Court of Appeal decision in Clark v In Focus Asset Management & Tax Solutions Ltd  EWCA 118)
- Co Presenter: “Investor Workshop – Investor Liabilities in the ESG Context” – Kepler Cheuvreux, 28 March 2014
- Co-Author: “Practical Tips on Conducting Human Rights Due Diligence”, Business Ethics and Anti-Corruption World, February 2014
- Co-Author: “Business and Human Rights: the UK Action Plan”, Practical Law, 24 October 2013
- Co-Presenter: “Preparing for the new annual reporting regime for UK-listed companies”, 21 October 2013
- Co-Author: “Action plan shows human rights breaches are still a serious legal risk for UK companies”, Legal Week, 27 September 2013
- Author, “Quistclose trusts: beware of importing equitable principles into commercial law”, Trusts and Estates Law & Tax Journal, April 2013 (relating to the Court of Appeal decision in Raymond Bieber & Others v Teathers Limited (in liquidation)  EWCA Civ 1466)
- Co-author, “Classified Check: When Privacy Gives Way to Expediency: Are Insurance Arrangements Still Private?” New Law Journal, September 18, 2009
- Co-author, “Bribery and Corruption Risks in M&A,” Complinet, June 12, 2009
- Co-author, “FSA Gets Serious Over Bribery and Corruption Enforcement,” The In-House Lawyer, April 2009
- Co-author, “FSA Joins the Enforcement Party in Landmark Financial Crime Action,” Fulbright Briefing, January 2009
- "Managing Legal costs & the how and why of claims estimating", Australian Insurance Lawyers Association (March 2018)
- "Directors and Officers: Risk Mitigation", Legalwise Seminar Series (March 2018)
- "General Insurance Case Law Review", Australian Insurance Lawyers Association (February 2018)
- "Directors and Officers: Risks, Liabilities and Insurance", Legalwise Seminar Series (March 2017)
- "How to develop ethical resilience: lessons for lawyers", Norton Rose Fulbright (February 2017)
- "Business and human rights in an era of global disruption," Norton Rose Fulbright (February 2016)
- AILA Australian Insurance Lawyers Association (2015)
- APIG Australian Professional Indemnity Group (2015)
- Law Society of Western Australia (2015)
- Law Society of England and Wales (1999)
Publication | August 30 2018
Publication | June 2018
Publication | May, 2018
Publication | June 2018