Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
André Legrand's practice focuses on insurance law and professional liability. His insurance law practice focuses on general liability insurance, directors' and officers' liability insurance, professional liability insurance, property insurance and cyber insurance.
Mr. Legrand's professional liability practice involves representing the interests of directors and officers of corporations. He has acted before all Quebec courts and the Supreme Court of Canada.
- LL.M., McGill University, 1995
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1985
- Quebec 1986
- Acting for a Bermuda captive insurer in an insurance coverage dispute arising out of Canada's longest running judicial saga, the "Castor case," and taking part in bringing the entire case to a close
- The Mégantic train derailment tragedy, which took place in 2013
- Acting successfully for the City of Westmount before the Supreme Court of Canada where the court addressed for the first time the Quebec no-fault public automobile insurance regime (Westmount (City of) v Rossy 2012 SCC 30)
- Currently representing Lloyd's and its insured, the engineering firm Groupe EGP, in the defence of a multi-million dollar claim relating to the construction of the Altoria tower in Montreal
- Successfully acting, with partners of the firm, for Domtar before the Supreme Court of Canada in the case of ABB Inc. v. Domtar, which is now the landmark decision on latent defects in Québec.
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Litigation - Commercial Insurance; Litigation - Directors' & Officers' Liability; Professional Liability
- Benchmark Canada (2020), Benchmark Litigation Star
- The Globe & Mail's Report on Business (2019-2020), Leading Litigation Lawyers
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Insurance - Dispute Resolution (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2019-2021
- The Legal 500 Canada: Insurance (Leading Lawyer), 2020-2021
- Euromoney's 2018, 2019 and 2020 Insurance and Reinsurance Expert Guide
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Director and officer liability practice "Lawyer of the Year," 2014 and 2021
- Best Lawyers Global Business Edition - Director and officer liability practice, insurance law, 2020
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Director and officer liability practice, insurance law, legal malpractice law, 2008-2021
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Insurance "Lawyer of the Year," 2018
- "Decoding Quebec Liability: A roadmap for brokers, underwriters and claims departments," Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS), Toronto, June 6, 2019.
- "Sexual harassment, management liability and insurance" (co-presenter), Ontario Bar Association, Toronto, May 22, 2019.
- "The Ins and Outs of Social Engineering Fraud" (co-presenter), Professional Liability Underwriting Society, Montreal, October 18, 2018.
- "The Mergers and Acquisitions Insurance Explosion" (co-presenter), RIMS Canada Conference, Calgary, September 11-14, 2016.
- "What about the applicable law in matters of liability insurance in Quebec?" (co-presenter), Canadian Bar Association, Montreal, April 13, 2016.
- “D&O Insurance: Less Theory, More Practical Advice” (co-presenter), Canadian Bar Association, Montreal, February 18, 2015.
- “Top 10 Insurance Issues in a Commercial Context,” Canadian Bar Association, Montreal, April 9, 2014.
- “Managing the Defence of Securities Class Actions around the World: Limiting the Impact on D&O Policies” (co‑speaker), C5’s 22nd Forum on D&O Liability Insurance, London, March 19‑20, 2013.
- “Insurance Claims: The Changing Global Landscape for the London Market” (co-presenter), Lloyd's, London, March 19, 2013.
- “The Rossy Decision, Civil Suits and the Quebec Automobile Insurance Plan” (co-presenter), Canadian Bar Association, Montreal, October 23, 2012.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Editorial board, Canadian Journal of Insurance Law
- Lecturer approved by the Quebec regulatory authorities for the continuing education of insurance brokers and lawyers
Publication | December 11, 2020
Publication | March 25, 2020
Publication | February 2019