Joy M. Soloway
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Joy M. SolowayvCard
Related services and key industries
Joy Soloway is an appellate professional with extensive experience at both the state and federal level. Since becoming a member of the appellate practice group in 1991, she has focused on appeals resulting from business disputes.
Joy was certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in civil appellate law in 1997. She has had more than 30 oral arguments and is listed as appellate counsel in more than 35 reported appellate opinions. She also has helped clients defeat motions for class action certification, enforce arbitration clauses, uphold arbitration awards, respond to and prepare dispositive motions. Her appellate experience is enhanced by her early experience as a trial attorney.
JD, University of Houston, 1985
BS, State University of New York, Brockport, 1981
Prior to joining the firm in 1986, she clerked for the Honorable Justice Draughn of the Fourteenth Court of Appeals in Houston and worked as a legislative assistant for the late California Congressman Julian Dixon before attending law school.
While attending law school, Joy was a research editor for the Houston Law Review.
She was admitted to practice law in Texas in 1985. Ms. Soloway is licensed to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, the Second and Fifth Courts of Appeal, and all Texas appellate courts.
- Texas State Bar
Clients who have benefited from Ms. Soloway's appellate experience include an energy company, a health care provider and a global oilfield and information services company.
Her significant cases include:
- Breach of Contract/Choice of Law Dispute: Representation of national emergency room physician staffing agency in suit against insurance carrier for wrongful cancellation of insurance.
Upheld favorable judgment in excess of $1 million.
- Indemnity Dispute: Representation of energy client in suit on indemnity claim, obtaining affirmance of favorable judgment. Also defended summary judgment motion earlier in the case.
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty Dispute: Representation of several law firms, upholding confirmation of an arbitration award involving disputed fees under a contingency fee agreement in face of fiduciary duty breach claim.
- Condemnation: Representation of an energy firm in a condemnation partial takings case based on erroneous admission of expert testimony.
A reversal of judgment was awarded to the client.
- Fraud/Commercial Dispute: Representation of a health care organization in a dispute with disgruntled terminated provider.
Judgment in excess of $10 million was reversed and rendered in client's favor.
- Derivative Judicial Immunity Dispute: Representation of a court-appointed physician accused of negligence for failure to report suspected abuse of a child.
Summary judgment for client affirmed.
- Construction Delay Damages Claim: Representation of an energy firm in appeal from judgment in excess of $1 million in a construction delay damages case.
Judgment reversed and remanded for a new trial.
- Fraud/Fiduciary Duty Controversy: Representation of an energy firm in appeal involving fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims where jury had awarded more than $70 million.
Texas Supreme Court reversed and rendered judgment that plaintiffs take nothing on their claims.
- Insurance Bad Faith: Representation of an insurance company in a bad faith, breach of contract and misrepresentation claim case.
Obtained summary judgment and affirmance of judgment on appeal.
- Premises Liability: Representation of an energy client in a premises liability case.
Obtained reversal of $2.5 million judgment.
- Letter of Credit Dispute: Representation of a savings and loan client in a letter of credit dispute.
Obtained summary judgment for client and affirmance of the judgment on appeal.
- Breach of Warranty/Lost Profits Award: Representation of a water bottle manufacturer client in a breach of warranty and breach of contract/lost profits case.
Obtained reversal of a $3 million judgment based on insufficiency of plaintiff's lost profits evidence.
- Fraud/Lost Profits Award: Representation of a sign manufacturer in a breach of contract/lost profits case.
Obtained reversal of an $18 million judgment and remand for a new trial.
- Texas Top Rated Lawyer, LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, 2013 - 2014
- Texas Super Lawyer, Appellate, Thomson Reuters, 2008 - 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2009 - 2021
- Texas Women Lawyers, Best Lawyers, 2014
- Houston Bar Association
- Appellate Section
- State Bar of Texas
- Appellate Section