Related services and key industries
Matthew Thorn is a restructuring and insolvency lawyer based in London.
Matthew has extensive experience acting for debtors, creditors, insolvency practitioners, directors and other stakeholders in financial restructuring transactions, almost all of which have included a cross border element. He advises on debt and security structures as well as enforcement and formal insolvency and restructuring processes. His recent focus has been in the shipping, offshore and infrastructure sectors.
Matthew also acts on general banking and finance matters, including leveraged finance, real estate finance, secondary debt trading and debt capital markets.
Matthew has been at the firm since 2010 having previously worked for a leading law firm in New Zealand from 2007.
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
Matthew's recent experience includes:
- regularly acting for senior secured lenders and co-ordinating committees of lenders on the financial restructuring of major international shipping and/or offshore groups;
- acting for a UK based international infrastructure group on the refinancing of its working capital, asset finance and bonding facilities;
- advising the administrators of an oil tanker group, including in relation to the sale of assets and exit from administration;
- acting for a Middle Eastern conglomerate on its multi-billion dollar debt restructuring;
- acting for a European export credit agency in relation to the global restructuring of Abengoa S.A.;
- advising senior lenders in relation to the restructuring and subsequent administration of an offshore supply group, including the sale of a bespoke pipe-laying vessel and equipment;
- acting for a lender on the restructuring of its exposure to a commodity client which included application for summary judgment in the English High Court and enforcement of security across Europe;
- acting for a European bank in the US Chapter 11 proceedings of Excel Maritime; and
- advising the senior lenders in relation to the financial restructuring and recapitalisation of an international packaging group listed on the Athens stock exchange.