Related services and key industries
Matthew Thorn is a restructuring and insolvency lawyer based in London.
Matthew has extensive experience of acting for debtors, creditors, insolvency practitioners, directors and other stakeholders in financial restructuring transactions, almost all of which include a cross-border element. He advises on debt and security structures, as well as enforcement and formal restructuring and insolvency processes. His recent focus has been on the shipping, offshore and infrastructure sectors.
Matthew also acts on general banking and finance matters, including leveraged finance, real estate finance, secondary debt trading and debt capital markets.
Matthew has been at the firm since 2010 having previously worked for a leading law firm in New Zealand from 2007.
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
Matthew's recent experience includes:
- regularly acting for senior secured lenders and co-ordinating committees of lenders on the financial restructuring of major international shipping and/or offshore groups;
- acting for the indenture trustee on the English schemes of arrangement for the US-based syncreon Group;
- acting for Citigroup and other lenders on the US$2.2bn restructuring of the NYSE listed Danaos Group;
- acting for a UK-based international infrastructure group on refinancing its working capital, asset finance and bonding facilities;
- acting for certain foreign landlords on the CVA and administration of a retail group;
- advising the administrators of an oil tanker group, including on the sale of assets and exit from administration;
- acting for a Middle Eastern conglomerate on its multi-billion dollar debt restructuring;
- acting for a European export credit agency on the global restructuring of Abengoa S.A.;
- advising senior lenders on restructuring and subsequent administration of an offshore supply group, including the sale of a bespoke pipe-laying vessel and equipment;
- acting for a lender on the restructuring of its exposure to a commodity client, including application for summary judgment in the English High Court and enforcement of security across Europe;
- acting for a European bank in the US Chapter 11 proceedings of Excel Maritime;
- advising the senior lenders on the financial restructuring and recapitalisation of an international packaging group listed on the Athens stock exchange; and
- acting on the restructuring of a number of energy supply companies.
France: Norton Rose Fulbright advises Société Générale on the financing of a triple acquisition by Excelya
July 29, 2020
February 24, 2020
January 07, 2020
Publication | October 19, 2020
Webinar | June 17, 2020
Publication | May 22, 2020
Webinar | May 13, 2020