Matthew A. Dekovich
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Matthew A. DekovichvCard
Related services and key industries
Matthew A. Dekovich joined the Houston office in September 2005. Matt has an active trial and appellate practice in both state and federal courts, and represents clients in private arbitrations as well. His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation involving business tort claims, contract disputes, oil and gas issues, class actions, and qui tam claims. Matt also has substantial experience in eminent domain proceedings.
Prior to joining the Houston office, Matt was a law clerk for Judge Sim Lake of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
JD, Harvard Law School, 2004
BA, University of Michigan, 2001
Matt was admitted to practice in Texas in 2004, and is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of Texas and the District of North Dakota, and before the United States Courts of Appeals for the Third and Fifth Circuits.
- Texas State Bar
- Representation of oil and gas exploration and production companies in federal class action lawsuits alleging underpayment of royalties.
- Representation of oil and gas exploration and production company in federal class action lawsuit alleging breach of lease.
- Representation of an oil field pipe processing company in a three-week federal trial concerning a breach of contract dispute.
- Defense of a qui tam lawsuit alleging underpayment of federal royalties on oil production from offshore oil and gas leases.
- Representation of a pipeline company in the filing and prosecution of numerous condemnation proceedings to obtain easements for the construction of a new pipeline.
- Representation of an oil and gas exploration and production company in federal court lawsuit concerning dispute over lease assignment transaction.
- Defense of a qui tam lawsuit alleging false claims in connection with the National Flood Insurance Program.
- Representation of an oil and gas exploration company in the trial of an arbitration proceeding concerning disputes arising under a stock purchase agreement; and representation of same company in pre- and post-arbitration proceedings in federal court.
- Representation of a member of the Texas Medical Center in three-week arbitration hearing concerning ownership of a multimillion dollar fund.
- Representation of both appellants and appellees before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in a variety of cases, including those involving federal constitutional claims, qui tam claims, and contract claims.
- Texas Rising Star, general litigation, Thomson Reuters, 2008 - 2018
- Co-author, "The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Class & Group Actions," USA Chapter, 2018, 2019
- Co-author, A Practititioner's Guide to Class Actions (Marcy Hogan Greer ed., ABA 2d ed. 2017) (Co-author of Chapter 16, "Daubert Challenges in Class Certification")
- Co-author, Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts (Robert L. Haig ed., ABA & Thomson Reuters 4th ed. 2016) (Co-author of Chapter 150, "Energy")
- Co-author, "Dispute Resolution in 50 Jurisdictions Worldwide," Getting the Deal Through, Texas Chapter, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.
- "Litigation Challenges to the 2010 Deepwater Drilling Suspension: An Overview," ABA's Energy and Natural Resources Litigation Committee Newsletter, Vol. 1, No. 2, April 2013.
- Co-author, "Daubert Challenges in Class Certification," A Practitioner's Guide to Class Actions, American Bar Association, 2012 Supplement.
- Co-author, "Tort Claims: Waste, Subsurface Trespass, and Negligence," Trends in Energy Disputes 2011, Fulbright & Jaworski LLP, 2011
- Speaker, "Conflicts in Unexpected Places: Potential Ethical Traps When Advising on Royalty Reporting and Payment," Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Special Institute on Federal and Indian Oil & Gas Royalty Valuation and Management, Houston, Texas, October 25, 2018
- Speaker, "Royalty Class Action Litigation and Update," Colorado Bar Association CLE Program - "Oil, Gas and Mining: Current Issues," Denver, Colorado, September 15, 2016
- Speaker, "Power Disputes," Norton Rose Fulbright Energy Academy, Houston, Texas, November 2015
- Speaker, "Royalty Litigation," Norton Rose Fulbright Energy Academy, Houston, Texas, November 2014
- Speaker, "30(b)(6) Depositions," Norton Rose Fulbright Litigation School, Houston, Texas, February 2014
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow