Andre Timothy Hanson
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Andre Timothy HansonvCard
Related services and key industries
As senior counsel in the firm's Minneapolis office, Andre Hanson focuses his practice on false advertising, products liability and litigation. His extensive experience includes first and second chair litigation responsibilities, including management of discovery, dispositive and non-dispositive motion practice, trial and appeal.
Andre has represented large institutional clients in false advertising and unfair competition cases, class action litigation, product liability matters, employment disputes and contract actions.
He has also represented asylum applicants in Immigration Court and before the Executive Office of Immigration Review. He has represented clients in appeals in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth, Seventh, and Eighth Circuits, the Minnesota Court of Appeals and the Minnesota Supreme Court.
JD, magna cum laude, University of Minnesota Law School, 1995
BS, Psychology/Philosophy, University of Wisconsin, River Falls, 1984
While in law school, Andre was elected Order of the Coif and served as Associate Articles Editor for the Law Review. He was also a law clerk for the Hon. Frank Magill, United States Circuit Judge of the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals from 1995-1998.
Mr. Hanson is admitted to the Minnesota Supreme Court, United States District Court for the District of Minnesota, United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit and the United States Supreme Court.
- Minnesota State Bar
Recent representative matters include:
- Represents branded pharmaceutical companies in false advertising and unfair litigation
- Developed scientific and medical professionals to serve as expert witnesses in product liability and false advertising litigation
- Defended a major airline in district court and on appeal in class action suit alleging a violation of Section 7 of the Clayton Act
- Defended a major airline in purported class action alleging violation of contract law; dismissal based on the Airline Deregulation Act's preemption clause was affirmed by the Minnesota Court of Appeal
- Defended a major sports team in litigation and on appeal in case involving lease dispute with landlord
- Represented major pharmaceutical companies in MDL proceedings in federal district court
- Lawyer in Private Practice Outstanding Service Award, Minnesota Justice Foundation, 2002
- Rising Star, Law and Politics (now Thomson Reuters), 2002
- Fellow, Council on Legal Education Opportunity, 1992
- Co-author, "'Milking' The 1st Amendment To Defend Food Label Claims," Law360, April 26, 2017
- Author, "Update: 2d Circuit denies split in Church & Dwight and Apotex rulings," The Brand Protection Blog, December 19, 2016
- Author, "Denial of CDA immunity defense not immediately appealable," The Brand Protection Blog, December 7, 2016
- Co Author, "Second Circuit may address apparent Apotex/Church & Dwight Split," The Brand Protection Blog, November 2, 2016
- Co Author, "2nd Circ. Creates Confusion for FDA-Vetted Marketers," Law360, September 29, 2016
- Co Author, "Intra-Circuit split should give advertisers pause," The Brank Protection Blog, September 28, 2016
- Co Author, "6th Circuit Rules Engery Drink Makers Can Take Their Shots With A Jury," The Brand Protection Blog, September 19, 2012
- Co Author, "Third Party Retaliation Actionable Under Title VII", Fulbright Briefing, January 26, 2011
- Co Author, "United States Supreme Court Grants Certiorari in Wyeth V. Levine, No. 06-1249, to Consider Preemptive Scope of FDA Approval of Prescription Drug Labeling", Fulbright Briefing, January 23, 2008
- Co Author, "Cause and Effect? Assessing Postmarketing Safety Studies as Evidence of Causation in Products Liability Cases", Food and Drug Law Journal, September 4, 2007
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- People Inc., Advisory Council Member (2009 - current )
- Minnesota Governor's Planning Council on Developmental Disabilities, Board member (2000 - 2004)
- Peace Corps - Volunteered in Honduras, working with disadvantaged children in community nutrition center, building playground equipment for outlying community centers, and teaching English as a second language (1989 - 1991)