Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Philip Tarpley is a Senior Associate in Norton Rose Fulbright's Dallas office. Philip joined Norton Rose Fulbright in 2015 and has practiced in both of the firm's Dallas and Houston offices. As a member of the firm's Commercial Litigation, Antitrust and Competition group, Philip specializes in the trial and litigation process itself - he has represented clients in hotly contested matters across the United States, including class action cases, RICO cases, adversary proceedings in federal bankruptcy court under the US Bankruptcy Code, state and federal trade secret misappropriation claims, breach of non-competition agreement disputes, copyright infringement cases, and FINRA arbitrations - and has developed a focus on the aviation industry. No matter the subject matter or location, Philip is a confident and aggressive advocate for his clients in both state and federal courts across the nation.
Philip is currently admitted to practice in Texas and before the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas.
JD, Duke University School of Law, 2015
BA, Political Science; Business, Rice University, 2012
At Duke Law, Philip served as the Editor-in-Chief of the Alaska Law Review. He was selected to join Duke Law's mock trial and moot court boards and, in 2014, was selected to compete as a member of Duke Law's national moot court team. At Rice, Philip was a member of Brown College, the club water polo team, and a coordinator of Impact Rice, Rice University's student-led leadership retreat.
- Texas State Bar
- Defended NFL business manager in a Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) Arbitration against claims in excess of $18 million. Arbitration defense resulted in the Claimant withdrawing his claims with prejudice on the second day of the FINRA Arbitration.
- Defended individuals and entities in the oil and gas industry.
- Litigated trade secret misappropriation and breach of non-competition agreement claims in the casino and gaming industry.
- Represented a death row inmate for purposes of federal habeas corpus appellate review.
Eagle Scout; 2016 Houston Young Lawyers Association Leadership Academy
- Co-Author, "Autonomous Vehicles - Volume 3, Global Review, United States," Norton Rose Fulbright, September 2018.
- Co-Author, "Autonomous Vehicles - The Legal Landscape of Dedicated Short Range Communication in the US, UK and Germany," Norton Rose Fulbright, July 2017
- Co-Author, "Autonomous Vehicles - The Legal Landscape in the US and Germany," Norton Rose Fulbright, July 2015
- Author, "The Doctrine In The Shadows: Reverse-Erie, Its Cases, Its Theories, And Its Future With Plausibility Pleading In Alaska," 32 Alaska Law Review 213 (2015).
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- 2016 Houston Young Lawyers Association Leadership Academy Class
- 2015-2017: Advisor to the V&W Board at Rice University.
- 2017: Member of the Rice University Standing Committee on Admissions
- 2018-2019: Member of the North Texas Food Bank Young Professionals