Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Jim Warriner is an intellectual property attorney with a background in electrical engineering and computer science. He concentrates his practice on patent litigation, and his experience includes numerous matters filed in the Eastern District of Texas, one of the nation's most prolific venues for patent litigation. Prior to attending law school, Jim worked for several organizations, including Ford Motor Company and Symantec Corp., where he focused on computer networking and information security. His technical experience includes network routing and switching protocols, firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and security policy audits.
After law school, Jim clerked for the Honorable Chad Everingham in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
JD, with high honors, University of Texas School of Law, 2009
BS, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, Duke University, 1999
While in law school, Jim was the Chief Articles Editor for the Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal. He was admitted to the Order of the Coif and earned the Tom C. Clark Fellows Scholarship. At Duke, he was a Benjamin N. Duke Scholar.
Jim was licensed to practice in Texas in 2009 and is admitted to the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas and Western District of Michigan
- Texas State Bar
- US Patent and Trademark Attorney
- Drafted successful motion for summary judgment of invalidity due to unpatentable subject matter
- Assisted in drafting successful motion for summary judgment of non-infringement
- Worked with expert witnesses and clients to prepare expert reports on validity and non-infringement
- Obtained dismissal due to lack of personal jurisdiction on behalf of pro bono client
- Obtained dismissals on account of res judicata and lack of standing in false marking cases
- Drafted answers, claim construction briefs, summary judgment motions, venue transfer motions, and discovery requests and responses in numerous patent infringement cases
- Drafted several petitions for inter partes review and reply briefs
- Assisted in prosecution of medical device and consumer goods patent applications
- Presented claim construction arguments in Markman hearing
- Taken and defended depositions in patent infringement cases
- Texas Rising Star, IP litigation, Thomson Reuters, 2016-2019
- "Measuring The Success Of Motions To Stay Pending IPR," Law360, June 6, 2017
- Contributor, "Practical E-Discovery Issues," The Advocate, Summer 2010