Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Shuangqi "Joy" Wang is an associate in the Intellectual Property Brands group with a focus on trademark, copyright and privacy matters. She joined Norton Rose Fulbright in 2017 after graduating from the University of Minnesota's Joint Degree program and clerking for the Honorable Justice Natalie E. Hudson on the Minnesota Supreme Court.
In her trademark practice, Joy manages U.S. and international trademark portfolios, advises on trademark issues, selects and clears trademarks, prosecutes applications and maintains registrations globally, investigates and enforces against unauthorized trademark uses, handles oppositions and cancellations before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, litigates trademark disputes, coordinates litigations globally, negotiates and drafts contracts and agreements, and handles domain name and social media disputes. As a native Chinese speaker, Joy has counseled on the selection of potential Chinese trademarks, reviewed and advised on infringing trademark uses on Chinese websites and corresponded with trademark infringers in China using Chinese and English.
In her copyright practice, Joy advises on general questions, assists with application prosecution, enforces copyright registrations in the U.S. and globally, and drafts and reviews agreements. Additionally, Joy advises on policies and agreements concerning data privacy, medical research and biological material transfer.
Outside of her practice, Joy represents asylum clients as a volunteer attorney for the Minnesota Advocates for Human Rights, serves on the Board of Directors for the Minnesota Justice Foundation, and is a member of the Emerging Leaders Group and mentor for Twin Cities Diversity in Practice. She enjoys local restaurants, traveling, art performances, board games and conversations with family and friends.
MPH, Environmental Health, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, 2016
JD, cum laude, University of Minnesota, 2016
BA, magna cum laude, Sociology/Anthropology, Communications minor, Denison University, 2012
In law school, Joy was a research assistant for the Robina Institute of Criminal Law and Criminal Justice, a student director for the Federal Immigration Litigation Clinic, a student instructor for the Legal Writing and Skills program, a staff member of the Law and Inequality Journal, and a student ambassador at the Admissions Office. She received the law school's 2016 Human Rights Award upon graduation for her work as President of the Amnesty International Legal Support Network, a Humphrey Human Rights Student Advisor, and a recipient of the Upper Midwest Human Rights Fellowship for which she interned at the International Criminal Tribunal of Rwanda for one summer.
As a joint degree student, Joy served as the Teaching Assistant for Environmental and Occupational Policy at the University of Minnesota School of Public Health. She was part of the team that won the 2016 Emory International Global Health Case Competition Honorary Mention and Participant's Choice awards, and first place at the 2016 UMN Global Health Competition.
- Minnesota State Bar
- Emerging Leader, Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (2020)
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association (2019)
- Co-Author with Tim Kenny (Partner, Norton Rose Fulbright) and Felicia Boyd (Partner, Norton Rose Fulbright), "Willfulness not required for profits awards in trademark infringement suits," Norton Rose Fulbright Brand Protection Blog, April 24, 2020
- Co-Author with Susan Linda Ross (Senior Counsel, Norton Rose Fulbright), "US Supreme Court settles trademark Circuit split," Norton Rose Fulbright Brand Protection Blog, May 23, 2019
- "When can you sue for copyright infringement in the US?," Norton Rose Fulbright Brand Protection Blog, March 12, 2019
- "Social media activities and the appearance of bias," Norton Rose Fulbright Social Media Law Bulletin, July 24, 2018
- "How anonymous can you be on social media?," Norton Rose Fulbright Social Media Law Bulletin, January 17, 2018
- "A Love and Hate Relationship With Social Media," Norton Rose Fulbright Social Media Law Bulletin, November 1, 2017
- Presenter, "'Phase One' Trade Deal Between US and China: What Does It Mean for the IP World?," Norton Rose Fulbright IP Roundtable, Virtual, February 19, 2020
- Co-Presenter with Tim Kenny (Partner, Global Head of Intellectual Property, Norton Rose Fulbright), "Consumer Markets Program", Best Buy Corporate Campus, Richfield, MN, November 14, 2019
- Panelist, "International Law Students Job Panel," University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, MN, April 12, 2017
- Panelist, "International JD Job Search Club," University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, MN, October 29, 2015
- Board of Directors, Minnesota Justice Foundation (2019-Present)
- Minneapolis Office Representative, Women in Norton Rose Fulbright (2019-Present)
- Emerging Leaders Group and Mentor, Twin Cities Diversity in Practice (2018-Present)
- International JD Student Mentor, University of Minnesota Law School (2018-Present)
- Volunteer Attorney, Minnesota Advocates for Human Rights (2017-Present)
- Member, Minnesota Asian Pacific American Bar Association (2017-Present)
- Outreach Committee Member (2018-2019)
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association (2017-Present)
- Firm Captain, Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid Associates' Campaign (2019-2020)
- Advisory Board, University of Minnesota Law School Joint Degree Program (2017-2018)
- Mandarin Chinese