Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
- Corporate, M&A and securities
- Litigation and disputes
- Intellectual property
- Life sciences and pharmaceuticals
Key industry sectors
MMichael negotiates and drafts healthcare contracts, including clinical trial agreements, patent licenses, collaboration agreements, material transfer agreements, sponsored research agreements, marketing agreements, as well as distribution, manufacturing and supply agreements. Michael draws upon nine years of in-house contracts negotiation experience in the healthcare field. His experience includes navigating Bayh-Dole and other federal compliance issues that commonly arise when negotiating research and technology contracts with industry on behalf of federally funded not-for-profit clients. Prior to gaining his contracting experience, Michael worked for a decade as a patent litigator.
MFA,Creative Writing, New York University, 2000
JD, cum laude, New York University School of Law, 1992
BFA, Tufts University, 1984
- New York State Bar
- Hoechst-Roussel Pharmaceuticals v. Warner-Lambert, for the plaintiff in a patent litigation matter regarding Alzheimer’s disease medication.
- Critikon v. Becton Dickinson, for the defense in a patent litigation matter regarding medical devices.
- Wesley-Jessen v. Ciba, for the plaintiff in a matter regarding patented contact lens technology.
- Thomson v. Time-Warner, et al., for the defense in a matter regarding a patent directed to optical video and audio disc technology.
- AT&T v. Excel, Messagephone v. AT&T, representing AT&T as plaintiff in one matter and defendant in another, with regard to a variety of patents direct to telephony technologies.
- Editor, Journal of Law and Social Change
- Volunteer, Learning Ally (formerly known as Reading for the Blind)
- Senior Contracts and Commercial Licensing Officer, Mount Sinai Innovation Partners. Negotiated over 2,000 contracts including complex exclusive patent licenses while also overseeing a team of four lawyers, a contracts manager and paralegal.
- Partners Healthcare – worked in the technology transfer office of Partners Healthcare where he negotiated a variety of agreements facilitating medical research conducted by Harvard Medical School faculty working as principal investigators at Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
- intellectual property law firm – As an intellectual property litigation associate, litigated a wide variety of patent cases from both the perspective of the plaintiff and the defendant regarding patents covering medical devices, pharmaceuticals, telephony and optical technologies, and also gained experience in trademark and copyright matters.