Whitney Ian Gerard
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Whitney Ian GerardvCard
Related services and key industries
Whitney Gerard is active across our international practice. He lived and worked abroad for many years and has been able to draw on that experience to represent and counsel corporations and individuals in western, central and eastern Europe and Russia doing business and/or engaged in litigation in the United States. Mr. Gerard’s clientele has included international companies engaging in activities as diverse as manufacturing, banking, software, media, defense, insurance, construction and winemaking. He is also a director of a number of US public companies.
JD, Harvard Law School
BA, Princeton University
- New York State Bar
- Defended a French insurance group and its directors in connection with the takeover of a major California insurance company by leading French financial interests. Involving at one time six civil actions seeking multibillion dollar damages and a parallel investigation by the United States Attorney and Federal Reserve, this high profile dispute led to direct negotiations between the US and French Secretaries of State.
- Represented a major Brazilian exporter of processed foods in an International Chamber of Commerce arbitration in New York.
- Successfully pursued the first major professional negligence case against Arthur Andersen & Co. arising from the bankruptcy of the DeLorean Motor Company in the US and Northern Ireland. Discovery included the first ever production of British Cabinet minutes and the deposition of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. The case was featured in a BBC documentary on the history of the accounting firm.
- Represented a US corporate shareholder in resolving a hostile takeover battle in Russia.
- "Cross-Strait Relations Trilateral Conference," New York, NY, January 22, 2014
- "Speaker at the IBA Annual Conference," Boston, MA, 2013
- Member, International Bar Association (Vice-Chair―North America, Law Firm Management Committee)
- Member, Harvard Law School Association of Europe
- Director, American Foreign Law Association
- Member, Transatlantic Council of British American Business, Inc.
- Member, New York State Bar Association.