Todd R. Wells
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Todd R. WellsvCard
Related services and key industries
Todd Wells focuses his practice on complex construction disputes. He has represented public and private clients in a variety of matters ranging from simple payment claims to technical defect disputes. Todd has substantial experience in state and federal courts, handling initial pleadings, discovery matters, dispositive motions, and even appeals. He has significant experience in alternative dispute resolution as well. Todd is licensed in Missouri and Illinois, and the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Missouri and the Southern District of Illinois.
Todd also regularly advises clients on transactional matters relating to the negotiation and drafting of construction-related agreements. In particular, he has substantial experience negotiating and drafting development, construction, design, engineering, asset management, and related agreements. He has assisted owners, developers, and contractors for public and private construction projects in the energy, hospitality, multifamily, transportation, and healthcare sectors.
Todd has also assisted in pre-litigation, project-closeout processes on several large-scale projects. He has helped owner, developer, and contractor clients preserve claims, negotiate closeout agreements, comply with contractual provisions, and otherwise manage ongoing construction projects.
JD, Honors Scholar, Washington University School of Law, 2016
BBA, magna cum laude, Wichita State University, 2012
While in law school, Todd participated in Moot Court and a student-edited legal journal, Global Studies Law Review.
- Illinois State Bar
- Missouri State Bar
Todd's recent disputes experience includes:
- Represented owner-entity in the prosecution of fraud and defect claims and defenses of contractual and statutory claims in several matters across multiple states relating to the construction of a multi-billion dollar petrochemical plant.
- Defended telecommunications provider in a contract dispute relating to an allegation of a failure to pay.
- Investigated defect claims in large-scale construction and design defect cases in the healthcare industry.
- Defended owner of a large multi-family housing development against mechanic's lien foreclosures by general contractor and subcontractors.
- Represented owner-entity in the successful defense of a multi-million dollar lien claim against an industrial property, relying on defects in the lien-filing process.
- Assisted the investigation of defects during the construction of a large-scale energy facility.
Todd's recent transactional and advisory experience includes:
- Negotiated and drafted key construction, development, and asset agreements for a multi-family project valued at over $100 million.
- Drafted construction contracts for large hotel developments in the United States.
- Assisted in the drafting, development, and negotiation of EPC agreements for pipeline, wind, and other energy projects.
- Drafted and negotiated construction and property access agreements for use in the transportation sector.
- Drafted and negotiated many multi-family housing projects using custom and industry form construction agreements.
- Advised many owner-entities on various strategies at the early stages of construction relating to contracting options, including pricing provisions and project delivery methods.
- "Exploring the Space for Antitrust Law in the Race for Space Exploration," Washington University Global Studies Law Review, 2016
- "Construction Law From Start to Finish," National Business Institute Seminar, June 11, 2020.