Sean Patrick McGinley
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Sean Patrick joined Norton Rose Fulbright's Austin office in 2019. His practice primarily focuses on patent disputes, prosecution, and transactions. Given his background in mechanical engineering, Sean Patrick handles foreign and domestic matters related to mechanical technologies. In addition to his intellectual property work, Sean Patrick has experience in immigration law, specifically appellate criminal immigration.
JD, Boston College Law School, 2019
BS, magna cum laude, Mechanical Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, 2016
Upon graduation from law school, Sean Patrick received the John D. O'Reilly Award for his contribution to the law school community. During law school, Sean Patrick was a Senior Editor for the Boston College Law Review and participated in BC Law's Ninth Circuit Appellate Project in addition to holding leadership roles in BC Law's LAMBDA Law and LAHANAS diversity initiative.
Sean Patrick is also admitted to practice before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals as well as the Eastern District of Michigan and Western District of Texas.
- Texas State Bar
- US Patent & Trademark Agent
- Assisted in briefing and arguing a criminal immigration case in front of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, resulting in a published decision by the court.
- Co-author, "Consumer products and IP (Part 2): what's a patent got to do with it?," Norton Rose Fulbright - Consumer Products Law Blog, 2021
- Co-author, "Consumer products and IP (Part 1): why it matters," Norton Rose Fulbright - Consumer Products Law Blog, 2021
- Author, "Testing and trade secrets: marketing may eliminate rights," Norton Rose Fulbright - The Brand Protection Blog, 2021
- Co-author, "Stream-of-commerce considerations for consumer product patent infringement claims," Norton Rose Fulbright - Consumer Products Law Blog, 2020
- Author, "I Wanna Design for Somebody (Who Needs Me): The Intersection of Humanitarian Engineering, Choice-of-Law, and Technology Transfer in Kenya," Boston College Law Review, 2018
Texas Bar Association
Texas LGBT Bar Association
Austin Bar Association
Austin LGBT Bar Association
National LGBT Bar Association
The 2021 Appropriations Act: Fundamental changes to trademark and copyright law and the implications for IP owners
Publication | December 28, 2020
Publication | September 9, 2020
Publication | August 31, 2020