Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Chris Pearson is a corporate lawyer based in London
Chris has a substantial track record in mergers and acquisitions (domestic and cross-border), public company takeover offers, other stock exchange transactions and securities offerings, corporate governance and corporate advisory work, joint ventures, company reconstructions and institutional investments.
Chris is a leading individual for M&A and Corporate Governance. He is named as a leader in his field in: The International Who's Who of Mergers and Acquisition Lawyers; in Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom 2020 Edition; in Super Lawyers; and was named in The Lawyer's "Hot 100" in 2010. Chris is listed in the Legal 500 "Hall of Fame" as a Corporate Governance Lawyer and also ranked as one of the world's leading Corporate Governance lawyers in Who's Who Legal: Corporate Governance. Chambers and Partners 2016 (Corporate/M&A: High-end Capability) says: "the "fantastic" Chris Pearson comes highly recommended by peers and clients. His broad corporate practice encompasses a range of M&A, stock exchange and corporate governance matters".
Chris is the leader of the specialist Takeovers Working Group of the Law Society of England and Wales and the City of London Law Society, the leading specialist takeover lawyers' group in the UK, and has been involved in all significant developments in UK takeover regulation for many years. Chris regularly speaks at and chairs conferences on public company issues.
Chris provided corporate support and advice to Sir David Walker's review of corporate governance in UK banks and other financial industry entities.
Chris is admitted to practice law in England, Wales and Hong Kong.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Solicitor, qualified in Hong Kong
Recent experience includes:
- Acting for Barrick Gold Corporation in relation to its successful take-private of London-listed Acacia Mining (US $1.2 billion), on the settlement of disputes between Acacia and the Government of Tanzania (US $200 billon) including the establishment of new shareholding and operating agreements with the GoT, and related governance and stock exchange issues.
- Acting for the Takeover Panel in connection with the competitive bids for Sky by Fox and Comcast, including advising on: the post-offer undertakings given by Comcast in respect of its offer for Sky; the ruling by the Takeover Panel Executive on the requirement for a chain principle bid for Sky by Disney following its acquisition of Fox together with subsequent appeals to the Hearings Committee and the Takeover Appeal Board; and the final auction conducted by the Takeover Panel Executive for Fox between Fox/Disney and Comcast.
- Acting for HSBC on its review of corporate domicile.
- Acting for Delta Air Lines on its investment in Virgin Atlantic, on related shareholder and joint venture agreements and on the subsequent sale by Virgin Group of part of its shareholding in Virgin Atlantic to Air France-KLM and related revisions to the shareholder and joint venture arrangements.
- Acting for Terra Firma on its successful take-private bid for Infinis Energy (£550 million).
- Acting for France Telecom/Orange S.A. on the £10 billion merger between Orange and T-Mobile and related joint venture arrangements and on the subsequent £12.5 billion disposal of EE to BT Group.
- Acting for Wandle Holdings Limited on its successful hostile bid for Polyus Gold International Limited (US$9 billion).
- Acting for Canadian Tire Corporation on its purchase of Helly Hanson, a leading global brand in sportswear and workware based in Oslo, Norway, for C$985.
- Acting for Trinity Mirror on its acquisition of Northern & Shell's publishing assets for £126.7 million; comprising a portfolio of newspapers and magazines which include four national newspaper titles (the Daily Express, Sunday Express, Daily Star and Daily Star Sunday) and three celebrity magazines (OK!, New!, and Star) together with a 50% joint venture interest in the Irish Daily Star.
- Acting for Carlsberg on its consortium bid with Heineken for Scottish & Newcastle (£7.8 billion), on the equity bridge financing and on the DKK 30.5 billion underwritten rights offering and institutional placement.
- Chambers - Nationwide: Corporate / M&A, Chambers & Partners, 2021
Briefing | February 01, 2024
Publication | November 01, 2023
Publication | November 01, 2023