Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
- Acquisition finance and corporate lending
- Asset finance
- Asset-based lending
- Banking and finance
- IBOR and benchmark reform
William S. Veatch has extensive transactional experience in banking, equipment leasing, venture lending and leasing, cross-border leasing, vendor finance, factoring, and securitization. He focuses much of his practice on advising financial institutions and technology clients on the structuring of global equipment and software vendor programs, including the sale and securitization of receivables.
Bill counsels a diverse clientele representing US and non-US banks and other institutional lenders and equipment leasing companies in the structuring, documentation, and administration of various forms of complex debt and equity financings, including asset-based and leveraged-lease financings. Additionally, he has worked with clients in the container leasing, pharmaceutical royalty monetization, semiconductor equipment manufacturing and leasing, and timber management industries.
In addition to his finance practice, Bill works with the technology innovation team at Norton Rose Fulbright and with clients, to develop new FinTech and LegalTech software products, with a focus on converting contracts to a new structured data format.
JD, University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1987
LL.B, University of Manitoba, 1985
BA, University of Winnipeg, 1985
During law school, Bill was a staff member of Hastings International & Comparative Law Review. He also served as administrative editor of the Manitoba Law Journal at the University Of Manitoba School Of Law in Winnipeg.
- California State Bar
- Technology Law Trailblazer, National Law Journal, ALM Media Properties, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Securitization and Structured Finance Law, Best Lawyers, 2008 – 2021
- 2019 Top Artificial Intelligence Lawyer, Daily Journal, 2019
- Lawyer of the Year, Securitization and Structured Finance Law, Best Lawyers, 2016
- Super Lawyer, Northern California Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2004 - 2006
- IFLR1000 – United States, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, 2021
- Author, "Converting a Lease Agreement to a Data Format - Example: Events of Default," AI and the Law, Book 4, August 22, 2018
- Author, "UCC: Classification of Collateral Under the Uniform Commercial Code," AI and the Law, July, 9, 2018
- Author, "Converting the Substantive Law to Data - Restatement of the Law Second, Contracts 2d," Sections 1 and 2, AI and the Law, July 5, 2018
- Author, "The New Logic of the Law, Vol. 1 – Building a Foundation for Artificial Intelligence Applications in the Law," AI and the Law, June 12, 2018
- Author, "Using Artificial Intelligence Technology to Remain Competitive in a Fintech Environment," Journal of Equipment Lease Financing, Spring 2018
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, San Francisco Bar Association
- Former member, Uniform Commercial Code Committee of the State Bar of California
- Former member, Legal Committee of the Equipment Leasing Association
May 03, 2021
February 12, 2021
September 23, 2020