Mohammed Al-Ghamdi Law Firm - In Association with Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP*
Related services and key industries
- Intellectual property
- Trademarks and brands
- Litigation and disputes
- Sourcing and technology
- Copyright law
Zayd Alathari is a highly-experienced intellectual property lawyer based in Norton Rose Fulbright's Riyadh office. He focuses on all aspects of intellectual property law, including:
- managing and advising on patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright portfolios and matters,
- drafting and prosecuting patent applications,
- handling, drafting and negotiating a wide variety of IP and technology transactions and deals,
- advising on IP commercialization and dispute resolution,
- conducting due diligence and freedom to practice, and risk mitigation,
- advising on data protection, digitalization, IT and organizational transformation efforts
- establishing, reviewing and enhancing policies, procedures and workflows, and
- other IP counseling.
Before joining Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP, Alathari worked at Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), where he helped develop and lead the company's IP initiatives as its Senior Manager & IP Counsel in the Middle East and Africa. In eight years at SABIC, Alathari led a team that supported SABIC's Middle East and Africa manufacturing teams and the company's global technology & innovation teams for the chemical, agri-nutrients and metal business in the US, Europe, Middle East, China and India.
At SABIC, he helped develop and implement SABIC's global IP strategies and policies, and he provided legal and IP advice and contract support to protect and enhance the value of the company's technology. Additionally, Alathari and his team drafted and negotiated a wide range of technology agreements; prepared and prosecuted patent applications; managed and maintained patent portfolios; conducted due diligence; and handled freedom to operate (FTO) opinions.
Before his in-house career in Saudi Arabia, Alathari practiced at a major US law firm in Washington, DC. As an associate and registered patent attorney, he advised US-based and international clients on IP litigation, transaction and patent prosecution matters.
JD, Washington College of Law, American University, 2003
MS, Biotechnology, The Johns Hopkins University, 1999
BS, Biology, George Washington University, 1996
- District of Columbia Bar
- US Patent & Trademark Attorney
- Virginia State Bar
- Assisted small and large clients, domestic and foreign, in patenting, protecting and commercializing inventions in the areas of petrochemicals, metals and fertilizers, chemical and biotechnology products, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, coatings, mechanical devices and business methods, in both domestic and foreign venues.
- Managed patent portfolios, supervised and delegated work between team of attorneys and support staff.
- Prosecuted patent applications, prepared opinions, and assisted with litigation and transactional matters.
- Directly managed several client portfolios ranging in the thousands of active cases
- Communicated with and counseled clients regarding worldwide portfolio management and strategic development
- Conducted regularly scheduled discussions with in-house general counsel, management, and scientists to render decisions on patent prosecution strategies and prepared yearly budget estimates;
- coordinated and directed prosecution, communication and work assignments between client and a legal team of partners, associates, legal assistants and paralegals.
- Fully drafted and prosecuted over thousands of patent applications world-wide
- Extensive experience with US and PCT filing and practice
- Well experienced with Australia, Canada, China, Europe, GCC, Japan, Mexico, Middle East, New Zealand, Saudi, Singapore and South Africa patent practice, and familiar with other jurisdictions.
Litigation work, due diligence, opinion and transactional
- Assisted the patent litigation matters, including performing legal and technical research, conducting prior art searches, reviewing file histories and developing litigation theories.
- Conducted due diligence and opinion work by reviewing claims of patents, published patent applications, and file histories, and provided opinions, preliminary analysis memoranda, and preliminary oral presentations for validity, infringement, freedom-to-operate, and patentability.
- Prepared non-disclosure agreements, collaboration/joint development agreements, technical service agreements, license agreements and other technology agreements.
- Member, Research & Innovation (R&I) Committee, Gulf Petrochemical and Chemical Association (GPCA), Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Speaker, Presenter and Organizer for IP and the Middle East topics, mainly in conjunction with the US State Department and the Commercial Law Development Program, US Department of Commerce.
The Patent Office of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC Patent Office)stopped accepting new patent applications on January 6, 2021
Publication | January 07, 2021
Publication | January 06, 2021