Mohammed Al-Ghamdi Law Firm - In Association with Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP*
Related services and key industries
- Corporate, M&A and securities
- Construction and engineering
- Power and utilities
- Public-Private Partnerships (PPP)
David Johnston is a commercial and projects lawyer based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
David advises on major project finance transactions across the Middle East, primarily in the renewables, conventional power, oil and gas, petrochemicals, process plant, water and wastewater, waste management, district cooling, real estate development, and transport sectors. He has significant experience advising sponsors, lenders and procuring authorities on major utilities and infrastructure projects in Saudi Arabia.
David first joined the firm in 2013 and spent more than five years in Bahrain, working on an extensive variety of commercial matters within the Middle East projects market. In 2018, David was appointed divisional general counsel for the aluminium strategic business unit of the Saudi Arabian national mining company, Ma'aden. He returned to the Norton Rose Fulbright network in 2021 following his hire by Mohammed Al Ghamdi Law Firm.
- MA (Hons.), University of Glasgow, 2001
- LLB, University of Glasgow, 2007
- Glasgow University Law Society
- Diploma of Legal Practice, Glasgow Graduate School of Law, 2008
- Law Society of Scotland
- The lenders to a bidding consortium - in respect of their bid for the Jafurah electricity and steam co-generation plant project, procured by Saudi Aramco.
- As lenders' counsel - in respect of a bid for the privatization of the US$3.9bn Ras al-Khair integrated desalination and power plant by Saline Water Conversion Corporation. The plant houses the world's largest desalination facility, with capacity of more than one million m3/d.
- A Saudi Arabian/Dutch consortium - on its bid to Saudi Aramco for the design, construction and operation of a multi-phase metals recycling and recovery facility.
- A Saudi Arabian private power and water utility company - on the outsourcing of operation and maintenance services to a range of water assets, including desalination, seawater cooling, industrial and sanitary wastewater treatment, and process water treatment.
- As sponsors' counsel - on a Saudi Arabian consortium's bid for the Al Ansar Hospital PPP project, a greenfield hospital to be designed and constructed in Madinah, Saudi Arabia. This will be the first full hospital PPP project in Saudi Arabia.
- As sponsor's counsel - on an international consortium's bid for the Riyadh Radiology PPP Pilot Project, a pathfinder privatisation project in the Saudi Arabian healthcare sector.
- As lender's counsel - in respect of the refinancing of a district cooling and potable water project located at King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh.
- A major international mining company - on its entry into the Saudi Arabian mining market.
- As sponsor's counsel - on an international consortium's bid for the Madinah 3, Buraydah 2 and Tabuk 2 ISTP projects, three sewage treatment plants of respective capacities of 200,000 m3/d, 150,000 m3/d and 90,000 m3/d, to be designed and constructed in Saudi Arabia.
- A major Saudi Arabian public authority - on the creation of tourism investment opportunities across accommodation, retail, activities and attractions, in collaboration with the private sector, in two locations in the Kingdom.
- Notary Public (Scotland)
Blog | May 11, 2021
The new Saudi Arabian Private Sector Participation Law: Top ten considerations for private sector investors and their lenders
Publication | May 04, 2021