Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Celia Cohen has significant experience in dealing with white collar defense, regulatory defense and investigations. A former federal prosecutor, white-collar defense lawyer and in-house counsel, Celia has a practice that is both domestic and cross-border with a focus on government and regulatory investigations, including issues relating to market manipulation, insider trading, fraud, bribery, money laundering, cybersecurity and matters under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Sarbanes-Oxley Act and False Claims Act.
Prior to joining Norton Rose Fulbright, Celia served for more than five years as Assistant General Counsel at J.P.Morgan Chase, where she led internal investigations for J.P.Morgan Chase's Government, Investigations & Regulatory Enforcement Group. In that capacity, she has successfully overseen complex investigations spanning multiple jurisdictions. She also represented the bank in response to whistleblower matters and inquiries from the Office of the Comptroller, the Federal Reserve, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, state and federal prosecutors as well as various federal and local law enforcement agencies.
As Assistant US Attorney in the Eastern District of New York from 2009-2015, Celia prosecuted some of the most high-profile matters in the office. She tried nine jury trials to verdict, including an al-Qaeda terrorism trial, a major racketeering case involving six murders and a death penalty case involving the murders of two undercover New York City Police detectives. During her tenure, she handled cases involving securities fraud, international wire fraud, terrorism, cybercrime, healthcare fraud and racketeering.
Before entering public service, Celia practiced for a decade at two major international law firms where she represented individuals and corporations in a variety of white collar and civil litigation matters. In that role, she successfully obtained a full acquittal in a healthcare fraud trial in NY state court. She also successfully obtained a dismissal of insider trading charges brought by the SDNY and the SEC.
JD, magna cum laude, Syracuse College of Law, 1999
BA, University of Delaware, 1996
- New Jersey State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Defense of a corporation in a DOJ investigation involving corruption allegations under the FCPA
- Conducted internal corporate fraud investigation
- Defense of a corporation in an investigation by the SDNY, the SEC and the Manhattan DA's Office concerning allegations that investors were misled in connection with a bond offering
- Conducted internal corporate investigation related to corruption allegation in India
- Conducted internal corporate investigation involving unauthorized trading activity and defense of corporation in FINRA inquiry
- Conducted internal corporate investigation related to potential bond trading manipulation
- Defense of a corporation concerning SDNY Civil Investigative Demand in False Claims Qui Tam litigation
- United States v. Ronell Wilson - death penalty trial involving the murder of two New York City Police detectives
- United States v. Christian John - lead prosecutor in a six murder RICO trial, which led to the conviction a violent crew who committed numerous murders, robberies and assault
- United States v. Abid Naseer - prosecuted and convicted an al-Qaeda terrorist charged with providing material support to al-Qaeda as part of a conspiracy that included a plot to bomb a shopping center in Manchester, England and the New York City subway
- Successfully obtained a full acquittal as defense counsel on behalf of medical professional client in a healthcare fraud trial
- Successfully obtained dismissal of insider trading charges by the SDNY and the SEC.
- The Department of Justice Director's Award for Superior Performance by an Assistant US Attorney, 2014
- The Federal Law Enforcement Foundation Award, 2014
- The Detective Endowment Association's Person of the Year Award, 2014
- Awarded by the United Kingdom Counterterrorism Unit of the Greater Manchester Police for successfully securing a major international terrorism conviction, 2015
- Co-author with Katie Stephen (UK) and Sonya Zywko (UK), Beware the use of WhatsApp at work: practical steps for firms with a view to avoiding some common pitfalls, Norton Rose Fulbright's Financial Services:Regulations Tomorrow blog, April 12, 2021
- Panelist, International Legal Alliance Summit - Global Investigations, FCPA, June 2019