International Partner, Norton Rose Fulbright US MX, S.C.
Norton Rose Fulbright US MX, S.C.
Related services and key industries
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- Corporate, M&A and securities
- Equity capital markets
- International arbitration
- Litigation and disputes
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Private equity and venture capital
Andrés Nieto focuses his practice on banking and finance law, capital markets, fintech, corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, private equity and arbitration. He represents business groups, financial institutions and private equity funds in transactions related to mergers and acquisitions, corporate financing, secured financing and syndicated lending, reorganizations, restructurings and work-outs and regulatory compliance, particularly anti-money laundering. He also represents issuers and investment banks in a broad range of public and private transactions, including initial public offerings, secondary offerings and cross-border securities offerings.
With more than 20 years of experience, Andrés also represents clients in commercial arbitration, having participated as arbitrator in proceedings administered by the main administrative institutions such as the ICC and the LCIA.
In addition to his private practice, Andrés is a professor of capital markets law and letters of credit at the Universidad Panamericana. He also actively promotes pro bono and diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Postgraduate Degree, Private Equity and Venture Capital, Universidad Anahuac and AMEXCAP, 2020
- Postgraduate Degree, Corporate Finance, Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México, 2020
- Postgraduate Degree, Financial Law, Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México, 2015
- LLM, CONACYT scholar, Columbia Law School, 2009
- Law Degree, cum laude, Escuela Libre de Derecho, 2005
- Mexico Bar
- Advised a special purpose acquisition corporation in preparing and filing a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC) in the TSX.
- Advised a big four accounting organization in its capacity as court appointed receiver and manager in an insolvency proceeding, in the sale of a Mexican oil field equipment supplier, subsidiaries and related assets to a Mexican fund.
- Advised a banking company and its affiliates in the acquisition of a financial lending service.
- Advised a payment service providers, in the acquisition of a business-to-business payment solution company (operation for more than US $1.7 billion), as well as in the process of change of control within its authorization to operate as a Fintech entity.
- Advised a Mexican corporate conglomerate in the structuring and negotiation of a syndicated loan for one of its subsidiaries in Colombia for the construction of the largest optic fiber network in the country.
- Advised an American holding company in its bankruptcy proceeding (Chapter 11) and in the sale of shares of its Mexican subsidiaries to a large coffee ship chain.
- Advised a capital market company in the acquisition of a global industrial manufacturer engineering components and systems business segment, as well as in the acquisition finance of the transaction.
- Advised a US multinational doughnut company in the acquisition of a Mexican doughnut company.
- Advised a US multinational investment bank and financial services holding company in complex proceedings before the National Banking and Securities Commission, as well as the Mexican Antitrust Commission.
- Advised a US multinational investment bank and financial services holding company in the implementation of its worldwide legal and regulatory compliance monitoring system for the Mexican group.
- Advised a Japanese automotive parts company and its Mexican subsidiaries in the negotiation of a global settlement agreement for more than US $30 billion of liabilities prior to the petition and the sale of its substantial assets to an automotive safety systems developer and manufacturer for US $1.6 billion.
- Advised a Belgian multinational drink and brewing company in the acquisition of a large Mexican brewery, in the mandatory tender offer for the acquisition of shares carried out through the Mexican Stock Exchange and other foreign markets, with a transaction value of more than US $21 billion.
- Advised a Belgian multinational drink and brewing company and a large Mexican brewery in their divestment of the US beer production and distribution market to a US producer of alcohol, which represents a transaction value of more than US $5 billion.
- Advised a US diversified holding company and one of its portfolio companies, in the acquisition of a marketing technology and omnichannel solutions company, representing a transaction value of approximately US $1.8 billion.
- Advised a US multinational manufacturer of confectionery, pet food and other food products. in the acquisition of a chocolate candy brand which controlled approximately five percent of the Mexican chocolate market, which at that time worth more than US $1.1 billion.
- Advised a private equity firm in the acquisition of an oilfield services provider which represents a transaction value of more than US $500 million.
- Advised a private equity firm and one of its portfolio companies, in the acquisition of a supply of manganese chemicals business from a French multinational mining and metallurgy company and in the sale of a chemicals company to subsidiaries a US private equity firm.
- Advised a multi-strategy private investment firm and its portfolio entities on its long-awaited acquisition of an antifreeze and car care products manufacturer.
- Advised a US investment company in the acquisition of a wire harnesses and control boxes manufacturer.
- Advised a US cosmetics, skin care, fragrance and personal care company in the acquisition of professional salon beauty care company.
- Advised a private equity investment firm in the acquisition of a luxury writing implement manufacturing company.
- Legal 500 Latin America, Recommended Lawyer, International firms: Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500, 2023
- Leading individual, FinTech Law, Chambers and Partners, 2022
- IFLR100, Mexico, Banking, Project Finance, M&A, 2021
- Who's Who Legal, Banking, 2021
- Latin Lawyer National, Corporate and M&A, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in Mexico, Banking and Finance, Best Lawyers, 2020 – 2023
- The Best Lawyers in Mexico, Arbitration and Mediation, Best Lawyers, 2020 – 2023
- The Best Lawyers in Mexico, Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Best Lawyers, 2020 – 2023
- Leaders League, Banking and Finance
- Andrés has several publications on capital markets, fintech, banking and finance law and arbitration.
- Speaker, "Deal making PE in Latin America", at the 10th Latin Lawyer Private Equity event that took place in New York, 2019.
- Speaker, "Doing business in Mexico", at the Yale Club in New York City, 2019.
- Speaker, "Guidelines for the application for authorization to operate as Fintech entity" event organized by BIVA (Mexican Stock Exchange), the National Banking and Securities Commission, and the Mexican Bar Association in Mexico City 2019.
- Speaker, "FinTech Regulation" at the event "The Open Banking, FinTech & Blockchain Summit 2019", with more of 1,000 attendees.
- Speaker, "Us too? Bulling and sexual harassment in the legal profession", in an event organized by the International Bar Association and the Mexican Bar Association.
- Speaker, "Ethics in the legal profession in light of the new technology", at the Leaders Summit of the International Law Section of the American Bar Association in the city of Oxford, United Kingdom.
- Speaker, "Impact and Overview of the Fintech Law" at an event organized by the Mexican Bar Association.
- Speaker, "FinTech, the New Paradigm", at the annual meeting of the International Section Law of the American Bar Association at Washington, DC
- Mexican Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- International Bar Association
December 08, 2022
October 20, 2022
April 26, 2022