Related services and key industries
Jake Howard is a banking and finance lawyer based in Perth. His practice covers the full spectrum of corporate, acquisition, project, Islamic and trade finance transactions.
Jake has experience in all types of debt-related financing products used in the commodity industry and has a particular focus on the mining and metals, oil and gas, energy, renewables and agricultural sectors. He has advised lenders, borrowers, investors, traders and offtakers on both domestic and cross-border finance transactions.
Jake has experience in traditional limited-recourse project financing structures, as well as in alternative financing arrangements for natural resources companies, including streaming and royalties, prepayment financings, mezzanine finance, convertible notes, bonds and multi-sourced finance involving export credit agencies and development finance institutions.
Jake also has experience in trade and commodity finance including pre-export, prepayment, tolling, borrowing and asset-based lending, Islamic, ownership and receivables finance.
Jake is a recognised lawyer in Legal 500 Asia Pacific – Natural Resources. He is qualified and practices as an Australian and English solicitor and has practiced out of our Paris, London, Perth and Brisbane offices.
Jake is head of mining for Australia and leads the Africa practice in Australia.
Jake speaks French having spent four years in our Paris office.
- Acting for an international trading company on its worldwide borrowing base programme, including drafting its proforma borrowing base facility and rolling the proforma out to its various borrowing base facilities around the globe
- Acting for Tiger Resources on a US$162.5 million refinancing and project financing facility from the International Finance Corporation and Taurus Mining Fund LLP in respect to the Kipoi copper project in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Acting for Anshan Iron and Steel (as joint venture partner with Gindalbie Metals Ltd) on the US$1.5 billion syndicated refinancing of the Karara Iron Ore Project, arranged by China Development Bank and Bank of China
- Acting for La Mancha Resources Australia on a $200 million acquisition and project financing for the Frog’s Leg and White Foil Gold Projects in Western Australia
- Acting for several European and Asian banks on a US$325 million borrowing base facility for an international trading company to finance the storage and sale of petroleum products in various locations around Australia and PNG
- Acting for a major Australian bank on a gold prepayment facility for a gold project in Western Australia
- Acting for Freepoint Commodities in respect to its financing and offtake arrangements to Hillgrove Resources for its Kanmantoo copper project in South Australia
- Acting for ANZ in respect to the financing, and eventually the receivers and managers, of the Forge Group
- Acting for a syndicate of European and Asian banks on a US$350 million borrowing base facility to a commodity trading group to finance the purchase, storage and sale of rubber and coffee products in various locations in Asia and Europe
- Acting for a major Asian banking on a US$100 million Islamic (murabahah) structured cocoa warehouse financing for an Indonesian cocoa exporter
- Acting for several international banks on pre-export, prepayment and borrowing base financings in Australia, Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Romania, Hungary, Turkey, Brazil, Uruguay, Cuba, UAE, Iran, Kenya, Côte d'Ivoire, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Ghana, Sudan, Nigeria and Cameroon
- Acting for several international banks on commodity repurchase transactions in Australia, Turkey, Sweden, the Netherlands and Iceland
- Acting for several international and domestic banks on the development of their standard form trade finance documentation
- Acting for several Australian and international banks on numerous receivables purchase agreements across a range of sectors