Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Emanuel Confos is a construction and projects lawyer based in Sydney, and is the national head of the construction and engineering team in Australia.
Emanuel is recognised as a leading lawyer by Chambers Asia-Pacific, Legal 500 Asia-Pacific and Best Lawyers. He has over 20 years’ experience advising on all aspects of construction matters at both the 'front end' and 'back end'. Emanuel has prepared and negotiated complex construction contracts for large scale commercial and residential projects as well as in the energy, health, hospitality and mining sectors.
He also has experience in the construction of technology buildings, such as data centre facilities, and in the renewable energy space. Emanuel has drafted and negotiated contracts in the wind and solar industry in Australia and the Middle East. He has worked extensively with industry standards and he has drafted and negotiated a range of project documentation including, Engineer Procure Construct (EPC), lump sum, design and construct, guaranteed maximum price, cost plus, project management and consultant contracts.
Emanuel has extensive experience in acting for clients in large scale complex construction litigation having appeared in the High, Supreme, Federal and Land and Environment Courts. Emanuel acted for Brookfield Multiplex Construction on its landmark 7-0 appeal to the High Court of Australia (Brookfield Multiplex v Owners Corporation 61288  HCA 36).
- Brookfield Multiplex Constructions – on its landmark appeal to the High Court of Australia (Brookfield Multiplex v Owners Corporation 61288  HCA Trans 052 (18 June 2014)). Brookfield is the most significant case to come before the High Court for the construction industry in the last ten years. The case will impact how construction contracts are drafted and how construction litigation is run across Australia. The case questions whether duties in tort are owed concurrently with obligations under a commercial contract and whether a duty of care is owed by a builder to a successor in title to a commercial property.
- Downer – advising Downer as EPC Contractor on Clare Solar Farm (100MWAC), Ross River Solar Farm (148 MWP), including in relation to the EPC, O&M and Supply Contracts and the Murra Warra Wind Farm.
- Calvary Health Care – advising on the construction of the $250M redevelopment of the Adelaide Hospital including negotiating the D&C and AFL contracts.
- FRV Dubai – advising FRV as developer and equipment supplier on the development of two 50MWAC solar facilities in Jordan using a split project delivery model, including drafting and negotiating the BOP, Supply and O&M Contracts, Wrap Agreement, Indemnity Agreement and Management Services Agreement.
- Wollongong Hospital – advising on the construction of the Wollongong Hospital including drafting and negotiating the D&C and O&M contracts.
- Commercial and Residential Construction – advising contractors and developers on the development of over $1BN commercial and residential property including the preparation of the D&C and Supply and Consultant's contracts.
February 14, 2020
December 10, 2019
Norton Rose Fulbright advises Wirsol Energy on largest merchant financing of solar projects in Australia
December 15, 2017
Publication | May 21, 2020
Publication | May 20, 2020
Publication | May 07, 2020
The impending Building and Development Certifiers Act 2018: Shaking up building and development certification in NSW
Publication | March 18, 2020