Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Employee benefits and executive compensation
- Regulation and investigations
- Wealth and private client
Jules Charette practises tax law. He regularly advises businesses, developers, public bodies and financial institutions on the tax aspects of financings, mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, executive compensation and international transactions.
Mr. Charette also represents taxpayers in disputes with the tax authorities. In addition, he advises individuals on estate planning, which has led him to develop expertise in trusts and estates.
Mr. Charette is co-chair of our Canadian tax team and chair of our Canadian estates, trusts and wealth management team.
LL.L., Université de Montréal, 1980
- Quebec 1981
Mr. Charette recently acted as counsel on taxation aspects of transactions for the following clients:
- Bombardier Inc. in connection with a new European offering of €780 million aggregate principal amount of new senior notes due 2021, and debt tender offers to purchase certain series of Bombardier’s outstanding notes
- The senior lenders and bondholders in connection with the $1.2-billion financing of a new McGill University Health Centre hospital to be located on the Glen Campus in downtown Montreal
- Bombardier Inc. in connection with a new cross-border offering of US$1.5 billion aggregate principal amount of new senior notes due 2018 and 2020, and a multijurisdictional debt tender offer to purchase US$1 billion aggregate principal amount of certain series of Bombardier’s outstanding notes
- Hydro-Québec in the $615-million acquisition of a 60% interest in the McCormick Hydroelectric Facility from Abitibi-Consolidated Company of Canada
- Ville de Montréal and Société du Parc Jean-Drapeau in connection with the negotiations with Formula One Administration Ltd. to ensure the presentation of the Formula One Canadian Grand Prix until 2014 and coordination of the contributions and subsidies awarded by Canada Economic Development, Tourisme Montréal, the ministère du Tourisme du Québec and Ville de Montréal
- The underwriters in connection with Power Financial Corporation’s issuance of six million Non-Cumulative First Preferred Shares by way of a prospectus supplement to its base shelf prospectus for gross proceeds of $150 million
- Quebecor World Inc. (now World Color Press Inc.) in its successful emergence from creditor protection under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA) in Canada and, in respect of certain US subsidiaries, Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012 - 2021: recommended in Corporate Tax; 2020 - 2021: recommended in Estate & Personal Tax Planning
- Acritas Stars 2021 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars 2020 -- Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Tax law, trusts and estates, 2006-2022
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2011-2013: Tax
- PLC Which lawyer?, 2011 - Tax
- Canadian Bar Association
- Tax Section
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- International Fiscal Association
- Association de planification fiscale et financière (tax and financial planning association)
- Le Bon Dieu dans la rue
- Member of the executive committee and secretary
- Foundation of Greater Montreal
- Legal advisor since its incorporation in 1999
- Director of a number of private corporations and charitable organizations
Publication | April 12, 2020 - 7 PM ET
Publication | August 30, 2019
Publication | June 20, 2019
Publication | June 20, 2019