Michel G. Carle
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Michel G. CarlevCard
Related services and key industries
Michel Carle has vast experience in employment and labour law.
Over the course of his career, he has acquired in-depth knowledge of the manufacturing, retail and food industries in particular. He also has valuable experience in representing employers during unionization campaigns, on applications for certification and in collective bargaining. Mr. Carle provides ongoing advice and acts on behalf of a number of companies in matters relating to labour law, labour standards, employment termination, psychological harassment, discrimination, grievance arbitration and corporate restructuring and mergers.
Mr. Carle also acts for various construction companies before the Quebec Superior Court and the Commission des relations du travail du Québec (Quebec labour relations board), particularly in jurisdictional disputes.
LL.L., Université de Montréal, 1981
- Quebec 1982
- Mr. Carle has represented and advised numerous employers, particularly with regard to certification procedures and unionization campaigns, including Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd., National Bank of Canada, Verreault Navigation, Le Groupe San Francisco, Tecnickrome Aéronautique, Maple Leaf Foods and GEA Houle Inc.
- In 1994, he obtained a ruling by the Quebec Court of Appeal to the effect that picketing of the homes of Journal de Montréal executives was illegal on grounds of infringement of privacy
- In 2005, he successfully defended Bombardier Aerospace in a grievance claiming severance for employees affected by the sale of its F-18 aircraft maintenance operations to L3 Communications
- He has represented a number of companies before civil courts and administrative tribunals in dismissal cases
- He frequently acts as a company spokesperson in collective bargaining. In 2011 he acted as the spokesperson for the prospective buyers of the Davie Shipyard in Quebec, when all four collective agreements were re-opened
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Labour and employment law, 2021
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Labour Relations
- Chambers Canada, Quebec: Employment and labour, Chambers and Partners, 2019
- The Legal 500 Canada: Labour and employment (Leading Lawyer), 2020
- Martindale-Hubbell — mentioned for his exemplary reputation and well-established client base
- Mr. Carle often makes presentations to our clients on topics relating to his areas of expertise, such as preventing unionization, psychological harassment and managing absenteeism.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Retail Council of Canada
- Association québecoise de l’aérospatiale (Quebec aerospace association)
- American Employment Law Council
- National Retail Federation (USA)
- Lecturer, employment and labour law and administrative law, Quebec Bar Admission Course