Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Asset-based lending
- Banking and finance
- Private equity and venture capital
- Real estate
Key industry sectors
Miguel Manzano’s practice focuses on acquisitions, real estate, joint ventures, project finance and commercial contracts. His experience includes acting in sale and leaseback financings of aircraft, helicopters and software and in project financings for creating a wind farm in Quebec and a copper mine in Spain.
Mr. Manzano was involved in the sale of several landmark Montreal office buildings and has extensive experience in international transactions such as bid preparation for construction projects, joint ventures and equity participations in toll highways and public utilities in Latin America. In addition to French and English, Mr. Manzano speaks fluent Spanish and Italian.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- Quebec 1994
Mr. Manzano acted recently in the following transactions:
- Sale by North American Palladium Ltd. of its Quebec‑based gold division, NAP Quebec Mines Ltd., to Maudore Minerals Ltd.
- Advising on mining aspects of several financings of Stornoway Diamonds Canada Inc. with Diaquem Inc., Investissement Québec and Fonds de solidarité des travailleurs du Québec
- Advised Arcelor‑Mittal Mines Canada Inc. in Quebec mining matters relating to the sale of a 15% stake of its Canadian iron ore operation valued at $1.1 billion
- Advised Akzo Nobel in Quebec real estate matters relating to the acquisition by PPG Industries of Akzo’s North American architectural coatings business, a deal valued at $1.05 billion
- The acquisition by Hydro‑Québec of a 60% interest in the McCormick hydroelectric facility from Abitibi‑Consolidated Company of Canada for $615 million, advising the purchaser on real estate aspects of the transaction
- The sale by Smurfit‑Stone Container Canada Inc. to Société générale de financement (Québec) of over 900,000 acres of timberland
- The negotiation of a concession agreement with the government of Costa Rica for the construction and operation of an airport terminal, the acquisition of a public utility in Chile and the financial participation of a toll highway in Chile
- The US$320 million project finance of the Cobre Las Cruces Project in Spain
- The sale of several landmark Montreal office buildings such as Place Ville Marie, 1000 de La Gauchetière and Place Montréal Trust
- The purchase by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. of a 49% interest in the boutique hotel W Montreal
- Chambers Canada, Quebec: Real Estate, Chambers and Partners, 2019-2023
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Real Estate Law, 2013-2023; Commercial Leasing Law, 2023
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2019-2023: recommended in Property Development; 2020-2023: recommended in Property Leasing; 2020, 2023: recommended in Corporate Mid-Market; 2019: recommended in Mining; 2023: recommended in Mergers & Acquisitions
- “Off-title Searches,” Real Estate Development, Urban Development Institute, 2009.
- Presentation to the Executive MBA program at Université du Québec à Montréal regarding real estate, 2008.
- “Use of rights of superficies,” Real Estate Development, Urban Development Institute, 2008.
- “Workshop regarding Purchase Agreements and Leases,” The Canadian Institute, 3rd Quebec Commercial Real Estate Forum, 2007.
- “Real Estate Due Diligence,” The Canadian Institute, Corporate Due Diligence, 2007.
- “The Registration of Leases,” Association of Montreal Paralegals, 2005.
- Canadian Council for the Americas
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Vice-president, Spain-Canada Business Association
- Organizer, client workshops on real estate-related topics
CCAA court decides tenant still "using" leased premises despite COVID-19 restrictions
Publication | January 13, 2021
Canada: Impact of COVID-19 on the payment of commercial rent
Publication | July 28, 2020 - 1 PM ET