Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Copyright law
- Intellectual property
- Trade secrets
- Trademarks and brands
- Life sciences and pharmaceuticals
Joanne Chriqui is an intellectual property lawyer based in Montreal, with a particular focus on patent, industrial design, trademark and copyright litigation. She has appeared before the Federal and Quebec courts, at both the trial and appellate levels. Her experience spans mechanical, biomedical and pharmaceutical patents, as well as enforcing patent, copyright, and trade secret rights involving software and other new technologies.
Joanne often coordinates multijurisdictional patent and trademark litigation matters and regularly advises clients on the international enforcement of their intellectual property rights. She is regularly called upon to lead complex litigation cases, including those involving the assertion of multiple IP rights. She is frequently consulted on the acquisition, management, exploitation and enforcement of intellectual property assets, particularly patent and trademark portfolios. She regularly prepares legal opinions on the infringement and/or validity of patent and other intellectual property rights, as well as on the freedom to operate or manufacture a given technology in Canada.
As described by a client, "Once you have seen Joanne in action, whether it's in a razor-sharp witness examination or arguing the law with finesse and conviction, you are delighted that she is on your side rather than on your opponent's. That's how impressive she is: crystal-clear in her communications, determined in her advice, and fun to work with; even in the toughest disputes."
- LL.B./B.C.L., McGill University, 1995
- B.Com., Management Information Systems, McGill University, 1991
- Quebec 1996
- Canada (trademarks) 1999
Matters in which Ms. Chriqui has acted include:
- Lead counsel in a patent infringement and invalidity action in the Federal Court involving 12 different families of medical devices
- Lead counsel in a patent infringement and invalidity action involving a business method patent concerning the prevention of vehicle theft using a linked computerized service network
- Lead counsel in a copyright and contractual dispute involving the outsourcing of software development
- Co-counsel in several damages and profits references, aimed at computing damages or profits following findings of patent infringement and validity
- Lead counsel in a patent, trademark and industrial design litigation involving sports equipment
- Co-counsel before both the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal in a patent infringement case involving helicopter landing gear
- Co-counsel before both the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal, in a pharmaceutical (antihypertensive) patent infringement and invalidity case affecting several jurisdictions worldwide
- Lead counsel in an impeachment action concerning several trademarks used and registered in relation to nutritional supplements
- World's Leading Trademark Professionals, WTR 1000, 2020-2022: Enforcement and Litigation
- IP Stars (2017-2021): Patent Star - Canada
- IP Stars (2017-2021): Trade-mark Star - Canada
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2021-2022: recommended in Intellectual Property; 2021: recommended in Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Lexpert Special Edition: Technology (2021)
- Lexpert Special Edition: Health Sciences (2021)
- “Whose Device Is It Anyway?” MEDEC webinar, October 2014.
- “Naviguer à travers les complexités de la législation relativement aux sûretés sur la propriété intellectuelle,” Financement & Sûretés (8ieme édition), The Canadian Institute, Montreal, January 2011.
- Guest speaker at various seminars pertaining to intellectual property matters, such as Do You Own Your Most Important Assets, the IP Audit, IP Basics for Litigators and Enforcing Intellectual Property Rights in the Federal Court.
Canadian Bar Association
Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
Lord Reading Law Society