Richard A. WagnervCard
Related services and key industries
Richard Wagner focuses on Canadian federal administrative and regulatory laws that affect business, with particular emphasis on international trade law, competition/antitrust law and government procurement/anti-corruption law.
His international trade law experience includes advising and representing clients in matters regarding the import and export of goods and services (customs compliance, sanctions, export and import controls, etc.), trade remedies and recourse under trade treaties.
His competition/antitrust law experience includes mergers and acquisitions, reviewable practices such as refusal to deal and abuse of dominant position, as well as criminal and civil conspiracy, bid-rigging and restraint of trade issues.
Mr. Wagner’s government procurement law experience includes advising clients on structuring government contracts, contract tender issues and procedures, as well as lobbying, ethics and anti-corruption laws and issues. He advises and represents clients in negotiations with government departments and agencies, as well as in regard to bid challenges and anti-corruption investigations and proceedings.
Mr. Wagner regularly advises and represents Canadian and foreign clients regarding trade, competition/antitrust, procurement and anti-corruption matters before government departments and authorities, various tribunals and the courts.
LL.B., Queen's University, 1981
B.A.(Hons.), McGill University, 1978
- Ontario 1983
- Acritas Stars 2019 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Public Procurement (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2019
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: International Trade/WTO, Chambers and Partners, 2019
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2016-2017: recommended in Competition Law; 2013-2019: recommended in International Trade Regulation
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2013-2017: Public Procurement Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2006-2017: International Trade and Finance Law
- The Legal 500 Canada, 2018: Public Procurement (Leading Lawyer)
- Chambers Global: Canada, 2011-2016: International Trade/WTO; Public Procurement
- Who's Who Legal, Canada 2015: Public Procurement
- International Who's Who of Public Procurement Lawyers, 2011-2013
- PLC Which Lawyer? 2012: Public Procurement
- Euromoney’s Guide to the World's Leading International Trade Lawyers (2nd edition), 2009-2011
- “ITAR New Dual/Third Country National Rules,” Advanced Forum on ITAR Compliance, American Conference Institute, Washington, D.C., July 24 and 25, 2012.
- “Corruption and Bribery: The Challenge of Operating in the Global Government Procurement Market,” Invest Ottawa 45th Circuit, Ottawa, March 6, 2012.
- “Dealing with the Procurement Process,” 2nd Annual In-House Counsel Summit, Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, February 27, 2012.
- “Controlling Access to Implement Canadian Controlled Goods Security Requirements,” U.S. Export and Re-Export Compliance for Canadian Operations, American Conference Institute, Toronto, January 31, 2012.
- Past assistant editor of the National Trade and Tariff Service and its predecessor, Canadian Customs & Excise Reports
- Board of directors of several corporations