Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Louis Roy deals with all aspects of the law that concern the real estate and financing sectors. He has experience in drafting financing, guarantee, co-ownership, management, and purchase and sale agreements, and in drafting and revising commercial leases.
Mr. Roy acts for a number of Canadian companies and provides regular advice to several financial institutions, particularly on real estate development matters and the most efficient structures for the acquisition and ownership of real estate.
Mr. Roy also practises general commercial law and handles the real estate aspects of major sale and purchase transactions. He has litigation experience and frequently assists our litigation lawyers in files involving real estate or hypothecary financing issues.
Mr. Roy is Québec chair of our business law group.
LL.B., Université Laval, 1983
- Quebec 1984
Mr. Roy has acted recently for the following clients:
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in setting up hypothecary financing of over $300 million for the Complexe Jules Dallaire in Quebec City and for Place Alexis Nihon in Montreal
- Quebecor Media Inc. in negotiations with the City of Quebec for the management and operation of a $400 million multipurpose arena being built in the city
- A major financial institution in the Quebec City region for the acquisition of land in Longueuil with a view to the development of an office tower comprising 250,000 sq. ft. of office and retail space
- Major financial institutions in the Quebec City region for the acquisition of property for the “Cité Verte” real estate development project and its financing structures and for the acquisition of the property at 3000 Laurier Blvd. in Quebec City
- Major financial institutions in the Quebec City region and their private-sector partners for the acquisition of the property at 2285-2295 Chemin St-Louis in Quebec City and the property at 2505 Laurier Blvd. in Quebec City for development, including drafting of the related co‑ownership, development and management agreements
- Paper companies for the sale of vast tracts of timberland in the province of Quebec valued at over $100 million
- A university pension fund and its private sector partners to set up a real estate fund with investments in senior citizens’ residences valued at over $1 billion
- A large oil company for the negotiation and implementation of various agreements for the construction, maintenance and upkeep of underground tunnels and pipelines on private and public land
- Large investment funds for a loan of $56 million by Bank of Montreal, loans of $20 million and $30 million by London Life Insurance Company and a loan of almost $22 million by London Life Insurance Company and The Great-West Life Insurance Company
- A client for financing of almost $26 million for a slaughterhouse by Royal Bank of Canada, Farm Credit Canada and Business Development Bank of Canada
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Real estate law "Lawyer of the Year", 2021
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Real estate law, 2010-2021
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020-2021: recommended in Property Leasing
- Chambers Canada, Quebec: Real Estate, Chambers and Partners, 2020
- Lecturer on the new Civil Code of Québec
- Urban Development Institute of Québec
- Resource person in connection with the credit management workshop organized by the Canadian Institute of Credit and Financial Management (Quebec chapter)
- Conducted training sessions organized by the firm for various clients