Related services and key industries
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Litigation and disputes
- Insurance and reinsurance disputes
- International arbitration
- Professional negligence
Mark Staunton is a dispute resolution and litigation lawyer based in London.
Mark has extensive experience on numerous complex and high value disputes in the UK and overseas involving power stations, process plants, shopping centres, hotel projects, rail projects and also professional negligence, performance bond and guarantee claims.
Mark’s experience extends to all types of dispute resolution including High Court litigation, arbitration, mediation and other forms of ADR as well as adjudications. Mark also has significant experience in the London reinsurance market for overseas clients. Mark has also advised on all dispute related aspects of ERPA (carbon) contracts and the CDM regime generally.
Mark presents on legal topics and developments, both internally and to clients. He presented a webinar at the 2020 Projects Academy on "When Projects Turn South – Traps for the Unwary" which can be accessed on demand and forms part of our NRF Energy Academy and Projects Academy.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Advising a Saudi Arabian EPC contractor in High Court proceedings concerning a dispute over calls on a performance bond provided by an English supplier of waste incineration equipment under a bespoke form of contract.
- Acting for an international engineering group in an ICC arbitration successfully defending substantial counterclaims amounting to approximately US$375 million concerning the design and construction and performance of a multi-fuel power station in the Philippines.
- Acting for a UK water company in a series of multi-million pound claims made against it by developers that proceeded to arbitration/litigation and mediation that concerned alleged breaches of statutory duty and overcharging for the installation of mains.
- Acting for a developer as claimant in High Court and subsequent Court of Appeal and House of Lords proceedings in relation to a £10 million professional negligence claim against its rights of light advisers.
- Acting for leading London market reinsurers in defending £20 million arbitration proceedings concerning the intricacies of regearing contracts in the Lloyd’s market.
- Acting for a UK water company in relation to defective performance of a water treatment plant, the contract value of which is £10 million.
- Acting for a specialist sub-contractor in JCT arbitration proceedings relating to loss and expense, extensions of time and defects in operational aspects of a complex lift installation on a significant City of London project.
- Representing an employer in defending a multi-million pound extension of time and loss and expense claim by a specialist engineering contractor arising out of a paper mill project based in the North of England.
- Acting for an established overseas client for many years in numerous London market and ad hoc arbitrations usually involving significant sums in dispute. Acting as advocate and pleader in such proceedings and hence acquiring extensive knowledge of all London market reinsurance aspects, pool business, jurisdictional issues and analysis of reinsurance treaty wordings.
- Advised Braehead (a subsidiary of Capital Shopping Centres Plc) in their successful defence of Bovis’ summary Judgement and Interim Payment Application.