Gijs van Leeuwen
Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Gijs van LeeuwenvCard
Related services and key industries
Gijs van Leeuwen is a banking and finance lawyer based in Amsterdam where he leads the banking and securities practice.
He advises on a wide range of regulatory, securities (debt and equity) and banking matters.
Gijs has extensive experience advising on the regulation and supervision of the financial markets. He specialises in the infrastructure of the securities and derivatives markets and the clearing and settlement of trades. He advises clearing firms, central counterparties and trading venues on their commercial agreements and rules, on margin finance and on their regulatory positions.
Gijs’ experience in banking and debt securities includes numerous asset and structured financing transactions (aircraft, ships, FPSOs) and acquisition and trade & commodity finance for many major banks, acting for banks and corporates on their debt issuance programmes and advising Dutch issuers on public and private placements of equities and bonds.
In the past Gijs advised on a variety of corporate finance-related transactions including mergers, disposals and asset divestments. He has extensive IPO experience, particularly in relation to technology companies and has acted for both issuers and underwriters on listings on the Amsterdam exchange.
Gijs lectures “Effectenrecht” (securities law) at the Law Firm School.
- Advocaat, qualified in the Netherlands
- Corporate Governance in the Netherlands (Euromoney, 1990)
- Securities Law in the Netherlands (BNA International Inc, 1998), co-author
- Juridisch up to Date, 23 June 2005 - Een vogelvlucht over het nieuwe regime voor de aanbieding van effecten
- Juridisch up to Date, 12 October 2006 - VPV en de rol van de toezichthouders
- Juridisch up to Date, 1 March 2007 - Clearing en Settlement in beweging
- Juridisch up to Date, 17 January 2008 - Ontwikkelingen in het Europees betalingsverkeer
- Juridisch up to Date, 11 June 2009 - Aandelenlease: hoe nu verder?
- Dutch Securities Law Association
- Dutch Association of Trade Law
- International Bar Association