Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Andreas Börner is a corporate finance lawyer based in Munich. He focuses on international cross-border M&A transactions, and has a particular experience in regulated industries such as insurance and pharma.
Together with Eva-Maria Barbosa, Andreas is responsible for developing the global corporate insurance team in Germany. He focuses on corporate, capital market and regulatory issues of financial institutions, particularly insurers and insurance intermediaries.
Andreas advises on a broad range of transactions, including M&A, reorganisations, regulatory capital, portfolio transfers, discontinued business and insurance linked securities. He also has experience in adapting insurance products which are passported into the German market and in drafting distribution and Terms-of-Business agreements with intermediaries.
Andreas is a graduate of Munich University (doctor juris, summa cum laude). A native German speaker, he is also fluent in English and has a good level of French.
- Law at universities Passau, Vienna and Munich (1984 - 1990)
- Research fellow (Wissenschaftlicher Assistent) at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich (1989 - 1996)
- Rechtsanwalt 1992
- AIG Europe S.A.: Advice on risk profiling in connection with Transaction Risk/ Warranty & Indemnity insurance policies and handling of related claims. Since 2013 we were able to advise on more than 170 large M&A transactions with an aggregate volume of more than EUR 80 billion. The advice includes the review and assessment of each share purchase agreement (including the due diligence process) and the resulting risk profile, together with advising on corresponding changes in the policy wording and the scope of the insurance cover.
- Advising a UK life insurer on long term cooperation and outsourcing agreement with German distribution partners, development of various German law unit linked life annuity products, regulatory and tax aspects of distributing life insurance products under the Freedom of Services, general corporate issues, distribution agreements and fund linking agreements with German asset managers.
- Exit of a Japanese insurer as majority shareholder from a German non-life broker insurer.
- Augur Capital: Indirect sale of myLife Lebensversicherung AG.
- International insurers and reinsurers: Ongoing advice on product, regulatory and corporate issues.
- Chambers Europe listed in band 3 among the top key individuals for Insurance Transactional Germany (since 2010).
- Legal 500 2016 lists Andreas as a leading individual for advice to insurers, describing the practice as 'excellent' and having 'very good market knowledge' and particular expertise in asset management, run-off matters and policies, as well as advising on corporate transactions and regulatory law; the team frequently advises on distribution matters, insurance and reinsurance contracts as well as business taxation.
- JUVE Handbook 2018/2019 lists Andreas as a recommended for Corporate Advice to Insurers.
- Recommended by "Best Lawyers Germany" (since 2015) and listed as an Acritas Star (since 2017).
- Both the team and Andreas have been recommended for many years by the JUVE Handbook (Band 3), Chambers Europe (Band 3) and Legal 500 (Band 2).
- Legal Eye: Monthly publication in the legal issues column of Versicherungsmonitor.de, one of the most important and up-to-date German online newsletters for the insurance industry, including topics such as blockchain technology, data privacy, regulatory law for institutions for occupational pensions / Monatliche Veröffentlichung in der Rechtskolumne auf Versicherungsmonitor.de, einem der wichtigsten und tagesaktuellen deutschen online newsletter für die Versicherungsbranche, unter anderem zu den Themen blockchain Technologie, Datenschutz, Aufsichtsrecht für Einrichtungen der betrieblichen Altersversorgung (2015/16).
- IT-support vs. Data Privacy in clinical studies (IT-Unterstützung vs. Datenschutz im Bereich klinischer Studien),(with/mit J. Chahboune) , Pharmind 2015, 173-180.
- Analysis of the judgement by the German Federal Court on standard terms used by Clerical Medical (Clerical Medical - Neue Ansätze für die Transparenzkontrolle von AVB?), VersR 2012, p. 1471-1478.
- Outsourcing: Outsourcing of asset management by insurers (Auslagerung der Vermögensanlagetätigkeit durch Versicherer), AbsolutIReport, 03/2012, 62-71 (together with Martin Krause).
- Chapter on Art. III of the New York Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards (Kluwer, 2010, ed. Herbert Kronke, Patricia Nacimiento, Dirk Otto and Nicola Christine Port).
- Insolvenzplan - Option einer gerichtlichen Sanierung (Insolvent schemes of arrangement under German law), in: Hommel/Knecht/Wohlenberg, Handbuch Unternehmensrestrukturierung, 2006, p. 1283-1306.
- International Bar Association
German Bar Association (Deutscher Anwaltsverein)
German Association for Insurance Studies (Deutscher Verein für Versicherungswissenschaft)
Working Group for European Integration (AEI)
Association for Arabic and Islamic Law (GAIR)
Publication | September 05, 2018
Webinar | June 14, 2017
Publication | June 2018
Publication | July 2017