Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Paul is a banking lawyer based in Amsterdam where he heads the English law finance team.
He has more than 20 years of finance experience with a broad, international practice. His team focuses on:
- outbound finance to emerging markets (with strong Africa and Asia experience) – particularly DFIs, STCF, ECA backed financings and food & agribusiness, and
- market infrastructure advisory – advising financial institutions on brokerage, custody, clearing and fintech.
Paul was previously general counsel of a US$4bn private equity fund (where he headed the legal function and also sat on the investment committee) and a senior lawyer at Shell.
He studied at the College of Law in England (1992-3)(Honours) and holds an MBA from London Business School (2002-4). Paul also writes the Financial Markets and Insolvency chapter of the leading English law legal reference book Gore-Browne on Companies; and is co-chair of one of the expert committees of the Bank of England-sponsored Financial Markets and Law Committee
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Acritas Star Lawyer – 2018 and 2019
- Chambers EMEA 2018 - Leading Foreign Expert
- Legal 500 EMEA 2017 – "a very flexible and innovative partner"
- Legal 500 EMEA 2016 – "humour but also a lot of experience"
- Legal 500 EMEA 2013 – "good at getting English law deals done for Dutch clients"