Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Nicholas Berry is a partner in our corporate team based in London. He is ranked as a 'Next Generation Lawyer' by Legal 500 2017 and 2018.
Nicholas advises on corporate and regulatory issues for clients in the financial services sector with a particular focus on the insurance market. He has extensive experience of running large, multi-jurisdictional and UK-based M&A deals in the insurance sector for institutional and private equity clients. Nicholas has insurance specific, financial services regulatory expertise and also advises institutional insurance clients and intermediaries on general corporate and regulatory matters. The Legal 500, 2018 describe Nicholas as a "corporate insurance expert."
His experience includes: providing advice on complex structured insurance and reinsurance arrangements; alternative risk transfer transactions; ILS transactions, transferring novel risks such as lottery jackpot exposures; and the new UK ILS regime, advising sponsors seeking to raise third party capital.
Nicholas leads our London InsurTech practice. He is involved in several projects with insurance clients, start-ups and regulators. He provides thought leadership and commentary on emerging technology in the insurance space and has trained legal teams of global and banks insurers on InsurTech matters.
Nicholas led the development of Parker: Insurance, our regulatory insurance chatbot. He also devised and co-ordinates our insurathon innovation events, where InsurTech start-ups pitch for £25,000 of pro bono legal advice. These events have been held in 2017 and 2018.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Advised a global insurer on the acquisition of a telematics and connected car business with international operations.
- Advised on the sale of the commercial lines of MGA UK General to JC Flowers.
- Advised Aquiline Capital Partners LLC on its investment in, and subsequent exit from, wholesale broker Beach & Associates.
- Advised on the sale of Castle Cover (a specialist distributor of products to the over 50's market) to Ageas.
- Advised a private equity buyer on the acquisition of a Lloyd's of London syndicate writing speciality motor insurance.
- Advised a consortim of insurance market participants and capital providers on the potential acquisition of a life insurance company.
- Advised MGA Now Health International on its acquisition of Best Doctor's Inc private medical insurance business.
- Advised MyLotto24 on the renewal of its innovative ILS Hoplon coverage.
- Advised MGA Now Health International on its global capacity arrangements.
- Advised an insurer on the regulatory structuring of its proposed partnership with a car manufacturer.
- Advised an insurer on the regulatory aspects of its proposed distribution arrangements for motor products.
- Advised a national motor insurer on its ABS joint venture arrangements with partner law firms.
- Advised Stable, an InsurTech MGA operating in the agricultural insurance space, on its product design and arrangements with insurance partners and distributors.
- Advised pay-as-you go drone insurance provider start-up, Flock Cover, on its distribution arrangements and arrangements with industry partners.
- Advised AIG and Standard Chartered on the insurance regulatory aspects for blockchain use in their trade finance platform, PoC.
- Advised a speciality insurer and reinsurer on its participation in an insurance market blockchain platform, involving multiple market participants focused on the marine sector.
- Advised blockchain-enabled peer-to-peer discretionary mutual Nexus Mutual on its launch.
- Advised Lloyd's of London on the regulatory implications of cryptocurrencies and ICOs.
- Advised a private equity firm on its roll-up strategy and acquisition vehicle structuring targeting UK and EU financial technology companies and relevant insurance regulatory aspects.
- Advised a global insurer on the sale of its South African business.
- Advised AXA on its £2.75bn disposal of certain of its UK life businesses to Resolution Ltd.
- Advised a global bank on its investment into an Asia-based InsurTech.
- Artificial Intelligence, The Liability Risks at the Liability Underwriters Group Conference, September 12, 2018
- The Insurance of Crypto Assets and Businesses, Lloyd's Market Talk to Lloyd's Syndicates, August 16, 2018
- Co-host, Smart Shipping and InsurTech - Reshaping Marine Insurance event co-hosted by Norton Rose Fulbright, MS Amlin and InsTech London, June 13, 2018
- Panel moderator, InsurTech Insights Conference, June 18, 2018
- Cryptocurrencies and ICOs seminar, hosted by Marsh, April 30, 2018
- Use of blockchain platforms in the shipping industry; effects of e-commerce on shipping seminar, IMIF and Maritime London, London, November 6, 2017
- Host, inaugural Norton Rose Fulbright Insurathon London, November 3-5, 2017
- The role of the regulator in the InsurTech revolution, The InsurTech Conference, London, September 22, 2017
- Association of Chinese Insurance Professionals, London, September 4, 2017
- Lloyd's Market Association BILA U35, London, July 27, 2017
- Bringing FinTech innovation and blockchain technology to the insurance market, Thomson Reuters Insurance Law Forum, March 23, 2017
- The Future of smart contracts in insurance, the FCA's InsurTech conference, March 28-29, 2017
- Fintech in the Insurance sector, Thomson Reuters Insurance Law Forum, June 9, 2016
- Crypto Insurance Challenge: How Can I Insure What I Don't Understand?, PLUS D&O Symposium, New York, February 6, 2019
- Co-host, Insurathon 2018, London, November 2, 2018
- Co-host, Navigating the InsurTech Revolution, Bermuda, September 20, 2018
February 08, 2019
November 05, 2018
October 24, 2018
Publication | January 2019
Publication | September 05, 2018
Publication | April 2018
Publication | January 2018