Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Matthew Buckle is a dispute resolution lawyer and solicitor advocate based in London. He specialises in international commercial arbitration and investment arbitration. He is an experienced advocate having appeared before both ICC and LCIA Tribunals. He has higher rights of audience before the English High Court.
Matthew has a breadth of experience in cross-border contractual disputes, particularly in the energy sector. He has advised regularly in disputes arising amongst contractual counterparties, amongst project stakeholders and amongst joint venture shareholders. He has led teams in both pursuing and defending claims under the arbitration rules of the major arbitrational institutions including LCIA, ICC, DIAC, SCC and in ad hoc arbitrations under the UNCITRAL rules. He also has experience of the English Commercial Court in both standalone and ancilliary litigation, enforcement proceedings, winding-up petitions, interim and injunctive relief (including anti-suit injunction) and proceedings for the compulsion of witness evidence and information on company assets.
He has led on settlement negotiations, mediations and other Alternative Dispute Resolution processes and advises on settlement terms. He regularly advises colleagues on governing law, arbitration and jurisdiction clauses, and in relation to investment treaty considerations.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- LCIA Arbitrations – Led a team defending an international rice producer in three separate LCIA arbitrations brought against our client by its US joint venture partner, following termination of a rice supply agreement and alleged breaches of trademark licences and non-compete obligations. Drafted all pleadings and acted as lead advocate. In a complicated case, we successfully brought significant counterclaims into the reference and won key jurisdiction and procedural arguments, ultimately leading to a commercially favourable settlement with the substantive hearing imminent.
- Investment Arbitration, Energy Charter Treaty - Representing sovereign state to defend $3billion dollar ECT claim proceeding under the Rules of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC) regarding alleged expropriation of hydrocarbon assets, including defending enforcement proceedings.
- ICC Arbitration and English High Court (Commercial Court) - Supply Agreement – Acting for Indian manufacturer in London arbitration and High Court proceedings in $500m dispute with European supplier relating to supply of components for solar panels.
- Investment Arbitration - BIT – Acting for a western investment group in relation to an expropriation claim against the Government of an East African nation relating to alleged interference and the indirect expropriation of significant mining assets.
- Freezing Injunction (English High Court) - Acting for a global research and analytics company in relation to a freezing injunction obtained against it by one of its creditors in respect of its assets within the UK.
- LCIA Arbitration - Shareholder Dispute – Acting for Liechtenstein entity in London arbitration relating to the ownership of a CIS airline and other assets, including land.
- Investment Arbitration – BIT – Acting for a European infrastructure company in a bilateral investment treaty claim against a former Soviet state for breaches of agreements and fair and equitable treatment provisions relating to changes in local law and investment policy.
- UNCITRAL Arbitration - Power Purchase Agreement (Saudi Arabia) – Acting for a project financed company in disputes with off-taker and construction contractor.
- Contract Dispute – advising a Middle Eastern Project Company and its shareholders in relation to delay claims brought by the EPC contractor and pursuit of those claims up the contractual chain to the Employer.
- LCIA Arbitration - Distributorship Agreement - Acting for a leading Asian travel company in relation to $30m dispute under distributor agreement for reservation system.
- ICC Arbitration – Power Project (Qatar) - Acting for project financed company in a dispute between the client owner operator of an Independent Power Project in Qatar and the construction contractor relating to delay claims.
- ICC Arbitration - Joint Venture Dispute, Industrial Gas for Manufacturing – Acting in a Bahrain-seated arbitration relating to a $30m dispute between a US-owned Omani joint venture and an Indian-owned steel company relating to the supply of industrial gas for manufacturing plant. Was lead advocate at the hearing in Oman.
- ICC Arbitration / English High Court – Financial Services – Acting for Indian financial technologies provider to enforce arbitration award. Pursuing actions in the UK, BVI, France and Switzerland to identify and seize assets in satisfaction of the award sum.
- UNCITRAL Arbitration - Retail Concession Agreement - Acting for JV European airport operator in €8m dispute with retail concessionaire.
- UNCITRAL Arbitration - Distributorship Agreement - Acting for a US car distributor in a $100m dispute under distributorship agreement with Asian car manufacturer.
- Mediation / ICC Arbitration - Carbon Credit Trading – Advising Polish chemicals manufacturer in ERPA dispute with French company. Led mediation and negotiated favorable settlement.
- DIAC Arbitration - Agency Agreement - Acting for UAE entity in DIAC arbitration under an agency agreement relating to advertising space at Dubai Airport.
- High Court (Commercial Court) - Acting for Spanish sports marketing company in litigation with UK company in $20m dispute regarding licensing rights of Valentino Rossi.
- Mayor's and City of London Court - Acting for wealthy individual against several entities for breaches of a supply contract for the provision and installation of solar panels.
- Major Insurance Claim – Acting for Lloyds underwriters facing significant claim on All Risks Policy relating to oil exploration construction project in the North Sea.
- Technology and Construction Court - Insurance Claim - Acting for insurers in subrogated claim for recovery of indemnity following flooding to commercial premises.
- "State Immunity: Recent Developments in Common Law Jurisdictions", International Arbitration Report, May 2017
- "The future of uranium: Can I have some yellowcake please?", Inside Africa Blog, January 2017
- "India releases a new Model BIT", International Arbitration Law Review, February 2016
- "Special Report: International Dispute Resolution", Financier Worldwide, October 2014
- Panel speaker at "Arbitration 101: An alternative Dispute Resolution" conference organised by the Junior London Solicitors Associate and Junior London Bar.
- Presented on State Immunity and Protecting Investments at the Energy Acadamy for In-House Counsel, hosted by Norton Rose Fulbright LLP.
- Arbitrator at the 9th Frankfurt International Investment Arbitration Moot, March 2016.
- Client training given on a variety of issues including drafting arbitration clauses, investment treaty protections and state immunity to a variety of clients across industry sectors.
Publication | May 08, 2019
Publication | October 2018
Publication | June 2018
Publication | November 2017