Related services and key industries
Sebastian Frech is an M&A and private equity lawyer based in Munich.
Sebastian advises on cross-border and domestic M&A and venture capital transactions with a particular focus on the energy sector as well as clean technology and innovation businesses, e.g. storage solutions, new energy related services such as metering, forecasts or mobility as well as the enabling technologies IoT, blockchain and Big Data.
He has broad experience in advising investors and project developers on renewables and energy infrastructure investments in Germany, Europe and Africa.
Sebastian studied law and economics in Bayreuth (degree in economics in 2004), Munich (law degree in 2006), St. Gallen and New York and was admitted as a lawyer in 2008. He is a German native speaker and is fluent in English and French.
- Advising the Smart Energy Innovation Fund on various Series A Venture Capital investments, e.g., in Luftmeister or VoltStorage, a manufacturer of battery storage for home users.
- Advising Intel Capital on several Venture Capital Investments (seed, Series A and Series B) in Germany, e.g., for the financing of the Big Data start-up Data Artisans, the manufacturer of wearable technology ProGlove, the drone manufacturer Ascending Technologies or the manufacturer of CIS-based thin-film solar modules Soltecture.
- Advising the Swiss energy supplier Energie 360° AG on the acquisition of Thomsen & Co. GmbH, project developer and service provider for BHKW.
- Advising Energie 360° AG on the acquisition of a minority share in Polarstern GmbH.
- Advising Viond GmbH, a start-up in the area of virtual reality, on the foundation and seed financing.
- Advising VBBV Limited on a Series B capital increase of the mobility portal from-A-to-B.
- Advising Lanes & Planes GmbH (formerly TripClick Pro) on the foundation as well as seed financing by Connect Ventures.
- Advising Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria (BBVA) on the acquisition of a minority stake in the German mobile payment provider SumUp with subsequent capital increase and merger with Payleven.
- Advising W&W Insurance Group on the acquisition of a majority stake in a German FinTech company.
- Advising WKN AG (PNE Group) in relation to their joint venture with John Laing for developing wind farm projects in France.
- Advising the Luxembourgian energy supplier Encevo (formerly Enovos International) on the foundation of a joint venture in the photovoltaic sector.
- Advising an infrastructure fund on the due diligence review of regulatory issues concerning the planned investment in a battery storage project in Germany.
- Advising a manufacturer of heating, cooling and hot water supply solutions on the sale or outsourcing of a logistics division.
- Advising Aweco Appliance Systems, a leading manufacturer of system components for household devices, on the sale to Zhejiang Sanhua.
- Advising the Perusa Partners Fund on the acquisition of a majority participation in premium motorcycle helmet manufacturer Schuberth.
- Advising the consortium consisting of STRABAG and RAG on entering the German geothermal market and the joint development of a geothermal project in Germany.
- Advising the Finnish investor Taaleri on the investment in Germany's largest geothermal project.
- Advising GE Capital on its equity investment in the 400 MW offshore wind park Merkur including negotiations with further investors – European Renewables Deal of the Year 2016 (Project Finance International).
- Advice in connection with the project financing of the 111 MW offshore wind park Nordergründe in the North Sea.
- Advising Tauber Solar on the development of large-scale solar projects in several African jurisdictions.
- Advising Swisspower Renewables on the acquisition and refinancing of a German 150 MWp onshore wind portfolio from Acciona Energia, including the acquisition of the asset management company.
- Advising Signal Iduna on the acquisition of a 100 MW onshore wind portfolio.
- Advising Munich RE on the acquisition of two wind park portfolios with a total capacity of 130 MW.
- Review and risk analysis of a portfolio consisting of more than 45 projects (biogas, wind and photovoltaic) in Germany and other European jurisdictions.
Case Study: "Negotiation of PPAs and investment protection for renewables projects in western and central Africa", annual conference Renewable Energy 2018, Frankfurt School of Finance and Management, Frankfurt, 18 April 2018.
January 02, 2019
Norton Rose Fulbright advises BayWa r.e. Energy Ventures on its investment in a Swedish energy startup
October 16, 2018
Norton Rose Fulbright advises Energie 360° on its investment in the BHKW specialist Engine Power Systems Thomsen & Co.
July 13, 2018
Ausschreibungen für onshore Wind nach dem EEG 2017 – strategische Handlungs- und Finanzierungsoptionen
Publication | Mai 2017
Publication | April 2017