Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Simon Cudennec is a project and corporate lawyer based in Paris.
Simon focuses on energy projects in France and French-speaking Africa. He has more than 15 years' experience advising junior and major oil & gas companies, service providers acting in the upstream sector and sponsors developing infrastructure and power projects (solar and wind, hydro, fuel, LNG).
He has been involved in energy projects in more than 15 countries including, Algeria, Congo Brazzaville, Côte d'Ivoire, France, Gabon, Mali and Senegal. He also benefits from an extensive knowledge of OHADA (Organisation pour l'harmonisation en Afrique du droit des affaires).
Simon joined the Paris office in 2010 and previously worked for another leading law firm. In 2017, he undertook a six month secondment with Total in their E&P legal department in Paris. He became a partner in 2019.
Master in English and North American business Law in 2004
Master in international business Law in 2003
Admitted to the French Bar in 2006
- Avocat au barreau de Paris 2006
- Advising a consortium in the course of the negotiation of a concession agreement for the construction and operation of a 135 MW combined cycle power plant in the Maria Gleta Region
- Advising Total on the signing with the Republic of Benin and the Société Béninoise d'Energie Electrique (SBEE) of the Gas Supply Agreement and the Host Government Agreement for the development of a Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) import floating terminal
- Assistance to the Republic of Gabon in the drafting of the new hydrocarbon Code
- Assistance to an oil & gas company in connection with the potential acquisition of the interests of an oil and gas company headquartered in Paris
- Assistance to an oil & gas company in relation to the negociation of oil & gas transport agreement and terminalling agreement
- Assistance to an oil & gas company in relation to the sale of its interests in a gabonese oil & gas asset
- Advising a consortium in the course of the negotiation of a concession agreement for the construction and operation of a 50 MW solar power plant (largest solar power plant in West Africa)
- Advising a consortium in the course of a tender process for the development, financing, construction and operation of a 25MW solar power plant
- Advising lenders in relation to the project financing of a 44MW hydropower plant located in the Singrobo region
- Assistance to Tullow Oil Plc in connection with the negotiation of four production sharing contracts
- Advising sponsors in relation to the negotiation of the project documents including a PPA for the construction, operation and maintenance of a 66 MW solar power project (currently the largest solar power project in Western Africa) and to the financing of the project
- Assistance to Tullow Oil Plc in connection with the negotiation of amendment to two production sharing contracts.
- Advising ContourGlobal on a 10MW hydropower project to be located at Markala
- Assisting Chevron in the negotiation of petroleum agreements with Moroccan National hydrocarbons and mining company ONHYM and the acquisition through Chevron Morocco Exploration of stakes in three offshore exploration blocks in the region of Agadir. Chevron now holds 75% working interest in the three blocks, while ONHYM have the remaining 25% interest.
- Advising a major player of the Moroccan gas sector on the impact of the draft Moroccan gas code: analysis of the suitability and efficiency of the chosen legal regime for the development of the transport and natural gas distribution facilities and the purchase mechanisms considering the maturity stage of the Moroccan gas market.
- Advising ContourGlobal in relation to the acquisition of GTi Dakar, a 52MW combined-cycle power plant located in Cap-des-Biches in the suburbs of Dakar, from General Electric, Edison and IFC
- Assisting ContourGlobal in the course of the financing by Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) and International Finance Corporation (IFC) of the development and construction of the GTi Dakar 53 MW combined cycle power plant located in Cap des Biches, Senegal, that will operate on heavy fuel with an option to convert to natural gas
- Advising Abu Dhabi National Energy Company (TAQA) in relation to a contemplated swap of oil & gas participation interests between Tunisia and Western Canada. Assisting in the due diligence, oil & gas assets and negotiations
- Advising the Gambia River Basin Development Organization (OMVG) on the OMVG Energy Project involving four countries (Senegal, Gambia, Guinea and Guinea Bissau) consisting of the financing (by IFIs), construction and operation of two hydropower plants (located in Kaléta and Sambangalou) by private operators and a 1,700km-long interconnection line that will supply the four member countries
Energy Legal 500EMEA 2020 and 2021 - Next generation partners: Simon Cudennec
March 20, 2023
July 26, 2022
July 13, 2022
Publication | June 27, 2023
Webinar | October 27, 2021
Blog | April 26, 2021