Maartje Govaert, CPL
Head of Employment and Labour, Europe, Middle East and Asia; Partner
Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Maartje Govaert, CPLvCard
Related services and key industries
Maartje Govaert is an employment lawyer (advocaat) based in Amsterdam, and is head of our employment practice. She specialises in all aspects of employment law, including works' council issues, restructuring and reorganisations, outsourcing, pensions, data protection, discrimination/harassment issues and the full spectrum of contentious and non-contentious work.
Maartje has extensive experience in individual and collective employment law matters. She has advised numerous national and international companies on the employment aspects of cross-border acquisitions in relation to restructurings, reorganisations and outsourcing projects, including negotiations with works’ councils and unions on social plans. Maartje also advises on corporate governance and remuneration issues, executive appointments and terminations. Much of her work has an international angle. She has particular expertise in handling highly sensitive and confidential matters affecting employers and works’ councils.
Maartje has 14 years of experience practising employment law in London, New York and Amsterdam. She previously worked at another leading global law firm. She currently advises various Dutch and international companies in their day-to-day business on all employment related law issues on an ongoing basis. Maartje was also appointed as a member of the Expert Committee on the A2 Maastricht project, relating to the alleged underpayment of foreign workers.
Maartje graduated in Law and holds a LL.M master’s degree at the Erasmus University of Rotterdam. She cum laude finished a post academic study at the University of Amsterdam.
- Advocaat, qualified in the Netherlands
- Recommended for employment
Legal 500 EMEA 2016
- “a very practical lawyer. She is passionate, really stands up for my interests and is solution driven.”
Chamber Europe NL 2016
- Tijdschrift Recht en Arbeid, Seksuele intimidatie: een juridisch mijnenveld
- Klokkenluiders en medezeggenschap - OR in bedrijf thema
- TRA 2017/24 - Tijdschrift Recht en Arbeid, Seksuele intimidatie: een juridisch mijnenveld
- Vrouwelijke juristen bepleiten óók aandacht voor valse beschuldigingen van seksueel wangedrag - FD 25-1017
- Subcontracting of workers under the Posted Workers in the European Union (Working Conditions) Act
- Changes to the Working Conditions Act – expected to come into force July 1, 2017
- Dutch Association of Employment Lawyers (VAAN)
- European Employment Lawyers Association (EELA)
- Association of Employment Lawyers (VvA)
- Amsterdam Association of Employment Lawyers (VAAA)
- Platform Outsourcing the Netherlands (PON)
- Association of Corporate Litigation
Publication | December 2018
Publication | August 2017
Video | May 2017