Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Katie McDougall is a counsel based in London, advising on risk, including dispute resolution and sanctions.
Katie's disputes practice covers domestic and international disputes across the energy sector, and in particular oil and gas, power and renewables. She has handled energy disputes across the supply chain, including upstream, downstream, wholesale, retail and services, and power and renewables projects.
Katie's experience covers both court litigation and international arbitration. Katie mainly advises on complex, high-value disputes in international arbitrations conducted under institutional bodies such as the ICC, LCIA and SCC. Katie was part of the team that successfully advised Israel Electric Corporation in obtaining an ICC award of over US$2bn in damages following the lack of gas supply from Egypt in the aftermath of Arab Spring (including defending the Swiss appeal).
Katie's sanctions practice involves advising clients across all sectors, but particularly the energy, natural resources, financial institution and transport sectors. Katie assists clients with financial and trade sanctions for all major regimes, especially Russia and Iran.
Katie has extensive knowledge of advising on the sanctions aspects of various energy projects (and related industries, including financing, transport and insurance), for joint venture partners, lenders and contractors, and has dealt with both OFSI and OFAC with such projects. Katie also advises various shipping and aviation businesses, and their banks or relevant export credit agencies, on trade and financing for sanctioned jurisdictions and/or sanctioned parties. Katie has specific experience of drafting and advising on sanctions provisions, as well as providing advice in relation to risk, compliance and strategy.
Katie is qualified to practice in the UK, and is also admitted to practice in the courts of Western Australia and the High Court of Australia.
- Solicitor, qualified in Australia
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Representing a national electricity company in the Middle-East in multi-billion dollar ICC arbitration proceedings, and Swiss Court appeal proceedings, against national state companies of Egypt over a long-term gas supply and purchase agreement and various guarantees of supply. The case was successful and the winning company is now pursuing both a negotiated settlement strategy at the same time as an enforcement process.
- Drafting an EU company's sanctions compliance policy to ensure that matters engaged in are both legal and permitted in numerous jurisdictions, fit the firm's risk policy, and satisfy banks of legality and acceptability of payments.
- Obtaining High Court injunction for non-operator in North Sea joint venture to stop unilateral drilling action by operator.
- Advising a European-headquartered global financial institution on economic sanctions issues arising out of recent developments in Russia and Ukraine, including the application of sanctions to complex financial instruments and the potential exposure of various UK businesses and across multiple jurisdictions in Europe, involving engagement with US regulators.
- Advising major oil company on EU and US sanctions from its involvement in oil projects in Russia, including liaising with the UK ECO, preparing export licensing applications and advising on transaction structures.
- Acted in contemporaneous LCIA and SCC arbitrations against a Russian oil major regarding oil field services in West Qurna, Iraq.
- Advising European investment fund on all sanctions and disputes related risks relevant to its investment, development, construction and operation of solar parks in the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Auditing a European shipping company on oil related trade to Iran.
- Acting for wind farm operator in nuisance dispute in relation to a UK wind farm.
- Advising a third party shipping mutual insurer on sanctions risks for its members; drafting a matrix of sanctions applicable to each country visited by members which has been made accessible on the insurer's website for the benefit of the members.
- Assisting the European subsidiary of a US-headquartered motor manufacturing company with the conduct of due diligence on clients in the Iranian energy sector and advising on the risks under EU and US sanctions.
- Advising on a dispute between an investor and State in disputed recognition and enforcement proceedings relating to an ICSID Additional Facility Rules arbitration award in the Commercial Court, involving a dispute between an investor and State under BIT.
- Advising three major shipping operators (separately) on the EU sanctions aspects of the provision of specialized ice class LNG carriers and conventional ships to an Arctic Russia oil and gas project.
- Advising a European bank on compliance with EU and US Russian sanctions, including CAATSA sanctions, and assisting the bank to future proof against possible further US sanctions.
- Advising a Middle Eastern power company on a dispute, including alternative dispute resolution, with a state owned electricity company
- Advising third party mutual insurers on the payment of insurance proceeds to a party in a sanctioned country for the repair of a damaged offshore installation. Advising the insurers of the difficulties of the reinsurance position, obtaining authorisations (to the extent possible from HMT) and liaising with a US firm on US OFAC issues and authorisations.
Publication | September 30, 2020
Publication | September 4, 2020
US President issues Executive Order expanding sanctions relating to China and revoking Hong Kong’s preferential status
Publication | August 10, 2020
Publication | July 20, 2020