Related services and key industries
Barbara Li is a corporate and projects lawyer based in Beijing. She focuses on China-related cross-border transactions including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, inbound and outbound investment, development and construction of major projects, private equity, regulatory and commercial matters.
Barbara’s primary focus is on the TMT, energy and infrastructure sectors. Most recently, she has advised financial institutions, technology and telecoms companies on a number of corporate M&A transactions, outsourcing projects and regulatory matters involving data privacy, cloud computing and big data.
Barbara joined our office in February 2013 and prior to that, she worked in leading UK and US firms in London and Beijing for more than 20 years. Before moving to private practice, she worked as a senior in-house legal counsel at Ericsson (China) Company Limited and Beijing Jeep Co., Ltd., respectively.
Barbara graduated from the China University of Law and Political Science with an LL.B. (1989) and an LL.M. (1992), King’s College, London University with an LL.M. (1997). She completed her C.P.E. course in 1999 and L.P.C. course in 2000. She is admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales and also holds the PRC Bar Qualification Certificate.
As a frequent speaker on PRC legal matters at professional and industry conferences, Barbara has been a regular speaker at events organised by the ICT Working Group and the Construction Working Group of the EU Chamber of Commerce in China where she discusses latest development in the TMT and infrastructure sectors and their implications on industry players. She is ranked as a leading lawyer in IFLR 2011-2018 and a recommended lawyer in PLC Which Lawyer 2010-2011.
Barbara is a native Chinese speaker and fluent in English.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
Her recent representative transactions:
- Advising an international telecoms company on the acquisition of Chinese target companies delivering cloud computing services in China and the region.
- Counsel to a global media group on a large outsourcing project involving China, Korea and India.
- Advising a number of financial institutions on reviewing their data privacy strategies and programs.
- Advising an international IT company on business restructurings in China and onshore and offshore M&A transactions.
- Advising a global energy giant on the investment and development of its first shale gas project in China.
- Advising a large European automotive company on the acquisition of two target companies in China.
- Advising a large Chinese infrastructure company on the investment and development of a PPP public utility project in Europe.
- Advising a large Chinese power company on its investment and acquisitions of power assets and natural resource assets in the US, Africa, Southeast Asia and Central Asia.
Publication | July 16, 2019
Publication | June 27, 2019
Publication | June 03, 2019
Publication | May 30, 2019