Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Rachel McDonnell is a dispute resolution lawyer based in London. She has significant experience in commercial litigation, alternative dispute resolution and financial services regulatory investigations, including enforcement proceedings and internal investigations.
Rachel has a broad range of experience advising clients in connection with all key aspects of commercial disputes, with particular focus on corporate, financial services and banking litigation. She regularly advises on shareholder and joint venture disputes, complex contractual disputes and international disputes with cross-border elements.
Rachel's regulatory experience includes representing financial institutions, insurers, investment managers, stockbrokers and individuals in various internal investigations and enforcement proceedings commenced by the Financial Conduct Authority, the US Department of Justice, the US Securities and Exchange Commission and other regulators.
Rachel was previously seconded to a major bank, where she assisted with a range of strategic regulatory, litigation and other contentious matters.
University of Bristol - LLB Law - First Class Honours; Frank Pitt prize winner – highest final year marks
College of Law – LPC – Distinction
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Major European construction company - represented on defending a claim for approximately USD 300 million brought against it and other parties in the Commercial Court under a series of financial guarantees.
- Global bank - represented in respect of an FCA investigation and enforcement action concerning the bank's investment advice division; assessing internal policies and procedures; reviewing the adequacy of systems and controls; and advising on remedial action.
- Global bank - advising a bank on an internal investigation into allegations of fraud in certain of its receivables transactions. The matter also involved reviewing the bank's financial crime systems and controls and making recommendations for enhancements.
- Global Energy company - advising in defence of a breach of contract claim by a third party introducer for approximately GBP 8 million.
- An individual - advised on the merits of his potential claims against various directors and shareholders for: breach of trust; breach of fiduciary duties; breach of directors' duties; and unfair prejudice. Subsequently, representing that individual in pursuing his claim for breach of trust and declaratory relief in the Chancery Division and negotiating a complex high value settlement.
- A stockbroker - represented in connection with an FCA investigation and enforcement action concerning the firm's sales division and advising on remedial action.
- Advising an events venue in relation to its rights to terminate an events contract following lobbying by certain political groups.
- Former CEO of an Independent Financial Adviser network - represented before the Upper Tribunal in connection with enforcement proceedings brought by the FCA.
- Nigerian finance company - represented in defence of a claim for approximately £25 million brought by a Nigerian bank in the Commercial Court. The claim related to the terms of two bond sale and repurchase agreements.
- Global financial institution -acted in the context of an SEC investigation into bribery and corruption allegations, with particular focus on the institution's internal systems and controls and UK regulatory obligations.
- Multinational telecommunications corporation - represented in defence of a breach of contract claim brought by a former consultant in the Queen's Bench Division.
- Financial institution - advised on all aspects of the FCA's interest rate hedging product review, including dealing with the Skilled Person and associated follow-on litigation.
- Conductied an independent internal investigation into potential Principle 11 breaches by a financial institution and providing an independent report to the FCA with conclusions and recommended remedial actions.
Rachel is a regular contributor to the firm's Regulation Tomorrow blog
Blog | February 11, 2021
Blog | 01/02/2021
Blog | January 27, 2021