Norton Rose Fulbright (Middle East) LLP
Related services and key industries
Sergey Avakyan is a dispute resolution lawyer based in Dubai.
Sergey represents clients from a variety of jurisdictions on construction, insurance and general commercial disputes. He is experienced in international arbitration proceedings under different arbitration rules, including ICC and LCIA.
He has been involved in construction and aviation disputes, where his advisory inter alia included drafting of main legal submissions and evidentiary work. Sergey also has substantial experience in enforcement of arbitral awards.
Sergey joined the firm in 2013, having previously worked for another major international law firm.
Law, Moscow State University
- Lawyer, qualified in Russia
Advising / representing / acting for:
- A Russian iron ore company - in an ICC construction arbitration seated in Singapore. The dispute against a major Chinese contractor arose out of multiple violations of the EPC Contract (governed by Russian law) by the Chinese side in the course of EPC construction project in the Eastern part of Russia. The claim amount is more than US$70m.
- A Russian leading aircraft manufacturer - in LCIA arbitration against Irish airline company with respect to the termination of the aircrafts lease agreement. The claim amount exceeds US$200m.
- A US technology and services company - in oil and gas sector in debtor's bankruptcy proceedings.
- A leading Russian bank - in a dispute against a major Italian energy trader and a holding company incorporated in the Bahamas. The dispute relates to recovery from the above companies of the amounts due to the bank guarantees issuance agreement and the deed of guarantee and indemnity to secure obligations under the guarantees issuance agreement. The amount of dispute exceeds €40m.
- A Swiss bank - in relation to €20m debts recovery from a Swiss grain trader in relation to the grain located in the South of Russia. Working on further strategy of the client's defence in context of consequent bankruptcy proceedings of the debtor and its affiliated parties/controlling parties in Russia.
- The world's largest ammonia producer - in a case based on a lawsuit of Administration of Krasnodar region which was filed personally by a governor Mr. Tkachev (which seems to be made in order to express administrative pressure on court), on establishing its right of property with respect to several sea port facilities allegedly unlawfully constructed by our client on the leased land plots
- A leading medical equipment manufacturer - with respect to antitrust investigation initiated by Investigative Committee of Russia in Samara region against company's top managers and employees
- A German client - in the litigation before the Russian courts commenced by the bankruptcy administrator of the client's former Russian partner in breach of the arbitration agreement in the underlying contract. Despite the opposing party's argument that its lack of funds to pay the arbitration fees should render the arbitration clause unenforceable, the arbitration clause was upheld and the case was terminated.
- A major maritime insurance group - on damages claim brought with respect to the shipwreck that took place in Russia
- A major German reinsurance company - in respect of various aspects of reinsurance regulation in Russia
- A leading Japanese lubricant producer as a respondent - in a claim brought by the Russian Consumers' Union together with an individual consumer. The Claimants alleged that a car was broken due to the low quality of motor oil, and based their claim on the alleged violations of the Law On Protection of the Consumers' rights taken place in the result of importing the motor oil by the importer. The case was won in the first instance, appellate and the cassation instance (Moscow city court).
- A German power engineering and production company - in a commercial dispute regarding claiming damages caused by the lack of conformity of the goods under the UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods.
International arbitration, Pravo.ru-300
Member of 'young arbitration groups' including ICC YAF, LCIA YIAG, RAA40
Willem C. Vis Moot Alumni Association.