Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Violetta Bourt is an antitrust and competition lawyer based in Brussels.
Violetta’s practice covers all aspects of EU competition law, with a focus on EU and international merger control. She has particular experience in notifying mergers and joint ventures to the European Commission, as well as coordinating the notification of international transactions with multiple national competition authorities. Violetta also advises clients on abuse of dominance cases, anti-competitive agreements, global competition compliance issues, and other competition and general EU matters.
Prior to joining the firm in 2014, Violetta was an associate at a major U.S. law firm in Brussels.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- LLM, London School of Economics, 2007
- Law degree, University of Louvain (UCL, Belgium), 2006 (magna cum laude)
- Avocat au Barreau de Bruxelles
- QatarEnergy – on competition law related aspects of its North Field East and North Field South LNG expansion project
- Allianz Capital Partners – on its acquisition from BASF of a stake in the Hollandse Kust Zuid (HKZ) offshore wind farm
- Enerflex – on all merger control aspects relating to its acquisition of Exterran Corporation
- GFG Alliance – on the acquisition of the aluminium rolling divestment business in the US$2.2bn Novelis/Aleris merger
- ELG Haniel and Mitsubishi Corporation – on their carbon fibre recycling JV
- ELG Haniel – on all merger control aspects relating to the acquisition of sole control over its JV with Iberinox
- Gemalto – on its €4.8bn acquisition by Thales Group
- Zen-Noh, Amaggi and Louis Dreyfus – on Zen-Noh's acquisition of a 33 percent interest in Amaggi and Louis Dreyfus' existing Brazilian JV
- Gemalto – on its acquisition of 3M's Identity Management Business
- Rofin-Sinar – on its $942m acquisition by Coherent
- Rosneft – on its acquisition of TNK-BP
- HP – on a dispute with Oracle over Itanium chips
- ARM Limited, Giesecke & Devriendt and Gemalto - on their JV in the field of trusted execution environments for secure applications
- Merck – on its proposed, but ultimately abandoned, animal health JV with Sanofi-Aventis (awarded "Deal of the Year 2011" by GCR)
- TPG – on numerous acquisitions, including IMS Health, Ontex, Exception Group Limited, Britannia Living Group Limited, Brookgate Limited, and Romanes Media Group.
(* including from previous firm)
- "EU merger control: the failing firm defence and counterfactuals in the time of Covid-19", The M&A Lawyer · Sep 1, 2020.
- "Gun Jumping: An Overview of EU and National Case Law", Concurrences, Art. N° 92519 · Apr 20, 2020.
- "Are European Digital Services Taxes Illegal State Aid?Are European Digital Services Taxes Illegal State Aid?", KNect365 · Sep 26, 2019.
- "EU Investigations into Tax Rulings Raise Novel Issues for M&A Counterparties" (co-author: J. Modrall and D. Stuttaford), The M&A Lawyer, May 2015.
- "EU Merger Control in Distressed Company Transactions" (co-author: J. Modrall), The M&A Lawyer, June 2013.
The European Court of Justice delimits the scope of legal professional privilege under EU law
Publication | February 14, 2023
Global Rules on Foreign Direct Investment
Publication | 2021
Europe: Antitrust challenges in (mobile) eSports: App store restrictions and beyond
Publication | July 02, 2020