Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Manuel Merling is an intellectual property and dispute resolution lawyer based in Frankfurt.
Manuel advises companies in the sports, luxury goods and technology sectors on all aspects of intellectual property (IP) and copyright law. He focuses on the extrajudicial and judicial representation of clients in trademark, design and copyright disputes, as well as on aspects of antitrust and competition law. He regularly advises clients on IP licensing, registration strategies for IP rights and IP-focused transactions.
Manuel is recommended for trademark and design law and unfair competition law in the JUVE Handbook Commercial Law 2018/2019, which describes him as a "creative and persistent litigator".
Manuel studied law at the University of Leipzig and at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms University of Bonn. He is certified as a specialist in intellectual property law by the Frankfurt Bar Association. Before joining us, he worked for two international law firms in the area of intellectual property law.
He is a German native speaker and is fluent in English.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- Fachanwalt für gewerblichen Rechtsschutz
- Advising clients in the luxury goods, sports, consumer electronics and fashion industries on anti-counterfeiting measures, including: border detention applications and proceedings; and civil and criminal measures against the counterfeiters. He also advises these clients on the registration, licensing and enforcement of trademarks and designs
- Advising clients on German antitrust and competition law
- Representing a sports industry client in IP litigation proceedings against major German retailers
- Advising an online games developer on licensing and publishing agreements
- Advising a Chinese car manufacturer on the intended acquisition of a major German car manufacturer and a Swedish car manufacturer.
- Co-author (Worm/Merling), Swiss legislature establishes in Statutory Law for the first time the principle of regional exhaustion for the re-import of patent-protected goods from the territory of the European Economic Region
- Co-author (Worm/Schmidt/Merling), The German Federal Court of Justice addresses the Compulsory License Defense under Antitrust Law in Patent Infringement Proceedings
- Co-author (Rehaag/Merling), Die "rechtswidrige" Restitution? Zum Spannungsverhältnis zwischen der Herausgabe beschlagnahmter Piraterieware und der Strafbarkeit des Besitzes von Plagiaten zu Vertriebszwecken, Mitteilungen der deutschen Patentanwälte, 2013, pp.58-62
Cross-border team advises DUBAG on Emitec acquisition
October 14, 2022
Trademark practice recognized in WTR 1000 2022
March 04, 2022
The Art of Dispute
Publication | November 08, 2022
The Art of Dispute
Publication | September 30, 2021
„Aus der Praxis“ – das Frühstück für Ausgeschlafene!
Webinar | April 23, 2021