Related services and key industries
Vishal Mawkin is a capital markets lawyer based in London. He focuses on representing issuers and underwriters across a broad range of sectors on English law- and New York law-governed cross-border debt financings, including straight Reg S/Rule 144A offerings, high-yield debt offerings, financial restructuring transactions and the establishment and update of EMTN and commercial paper programs.
Vishal is recognized as a "Rising Star" in The Legal 500 UK 2021, which comments that he is "diligent with an eye for details and a client-centric approach", having "the ability to understand clients' requirements". The Legal 500 has also praised his "superb know-how and response times". Vishal is also recognized as an "Associate to watch" by Chambers and Partners UK.
For nine months in 2016, Vishal was on secondment to the transaction management group of HSBC, working on capital markets transactions for sovereign, public sector, corporate, energy and financial institutions issuers.
- University College London, LL.B. (2005)
- Georgetown University, LL.M., Distinction and Dean's List (2007)
- Attorney at Law, admitted in New York
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
Straight debt and programs
- Schlumberger – advised the world's largest oilfield services company on in excess of €4bn of bond issuances and the revival of its €5bn EMTN program;
- Telenor – acted for the leading Nordic telecoms company on its €10bn debt issuance program and related bond issuances;
- Republic of Angola – represented on the establishment of its first debt issuance program and its dual-tranche US$3bn bond Reg S/Rule 144A issuance in November 2019; its dual-tranche US$3bn bond Reg S/Rule 144A issuance in May 2018; the tap issuance of US$500m 30-year bonds in July 2018; and its inaugural US$1.5bn bond Reg S/ Rule 144A issuance in November 2015;
- Ecobank, the pan-African banking group – advised on its inaugural US$500m public Reg S/Rule 144A bond issuance;
- Carnival Corp – assisted as English counsel with its US$6.5bn capital raising, including the issue of high-yield secured bonds, convertible bonds and US SEC registered common stock offering;
- San Fran Public Utilities Commission – advised on its US$655.5m water revenue bonds across four series, including approximately US$342m green bonds - the first European listing of US muni green bonds;
- Nordex SE, a public onshore wind turbine developer – advised on its inaugural €275m high-yield bond (green) Reg S/Rule 144A issuance in February 2018;
- Underwriters – acted on US$800m and US$600m high-yield secured bond offering by Adient, a leading automotive seating company;
- Piraeus Bank and Eurobank Ergasias S.A. – represented in their capacity as joint coordinators and bookrunners on the public offering of US$200m 3.6 percent bonds by Aegean Airlines, the largest Greek airline;
- IMI Group, the specialist engineering company – advised on its US private placement note issuances and shelf facilities;
- Underwriters – acted on the issue by Québec of US$2bn of global bonds;
- Underwriters – assisted with a US$350m high-yield US bond offering and US$225m high-yield senior secured bonds by Venator, a leading US chemicals company;
- Underwriters – represented on the Reg S/Rule 144A issue by Obrascón Huarte Lain, an international construction and concessions group, of €325m high-yield bonds and €400m high-yield bonds and related liability management transactions;
- GlaxoSmithKline Group – advised on its medium term note program and related bond issuances;
- Underwriters – acted on Westpac Banking Group's debt programs and related bond issuances.
- Cell C Ltd, a South African mobile operator – advised on its cross-border US$1.28bn debt capital markets and bank finance restructuring, and equity investment by Blue Label Telecommunications. The restructuring involved Chapter 15 US bankruptcy proceedings. Shortlisted for Restructuring Team of the Year – British Legal Awards 2017, Emerging Markets Deal of the Year – TMT Finance Awards 2017, and Legal Adviser of the Year – TMT Finance Awards 2017.
- Bank of Cyprus – acted on matters arising out of the bail-in of Bank of Cyprus' bondholders and depositors; and on its €1bn equity capital raise, which included a private placement to international investors and an open offer to existing shareholders. HSBC and Credit Suisse acted as placing agents on the private placement.
- JSC Astana Finance – represented a financial services group in Kazakhstan on its US$2bn financial restructuring, including the issue of recovery debt securities and global depositary receipts representing shares; the restructuring involved Chapter 15 US bankruptcy proceedings.
Other finance transactions
- McLaren Group – advised on the £203.8m equity investment by Nidala Ltd and its £370m and US$250m high-yield secured bonds;
- Global bank – acted on a global due diligence exercise of its regulatory capital and financing structure;
- Alufer Mining – assisted with an equity and senior debt project financing for the development of its Bel Air asset in Guinea;
- Bibby Financial Services Ltd – represented on the securitisation of its trade receivables portfolio; the transaction was the first rated private sector securitisation deal by a non-bank asset-based lender covering multiple legal jurisdictions.
October 07, 2020
April 23, 2019
July 23, 2018