Norton Rose Fulbright Hong Kong
Related services and key industries
Terence Lau is a corporate and capital markets lawyer based in Hong Kong. He has a broad range of commercial and corporate finance practice and has particular experience in equity offerings, IPOs, M&A, private equity, share repurchases, and regulatory and compliance matters. His areas of practice include joint ventures and schemes of arrangement. Terence is also a China-Appointed Attesting Officer.
Terence obtained his Bachelor of Science (Honours) degree from the University of Hong Kong in 1989 and qualified as a solicitor in 1996. In 1998, he obtained a Master of Laws degree from the University of Hong Kong.
He is fluent in English, Mandarin and Cantonese.
Terence is widely recognised as a leading individual in China and Hong Kong equity capital markets by major legal directories such as Chambers Asia-Pacific, 2008 – 2019 and IFLR 1000, 2009 – 2019. He was also voted as one of the top 75 practitioners in Asia by in-house professionals across the region in the 2012 Client Choice Hot 75 Survey conducted by Asian Legal Business. Most recently, Terence was recognised a leading lawyer in Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2013.
- "Terence Lau is also singled out for 'really understanding the listing process and the infrastructure of the exchange – he is a good business partner as well as a fine legal counsel'." Chambers Asia-Pacific 2010
- "Terence Lau, the senior partner, is extensively involved and has been instrumental in advising us in coming up with solutions around technicalities. His involvement is instrumental to the success of the deal. In addition, his attention to detail is commendable. For example, the first draft of prospectus is the best I have ever seen in my life. There are many other examples that I can come up with' says one client." IFLR 1000 2012
- "Terence Lau is noted for his meticulous approach and formidable technical knowledge. Sources especially emphasise his familiarity with Hong Kong regulations and listing rules, as well as his equity capital markets practice." Chambers Asia-Pacific 2012
- "Terence Lau is 'very responsive' and 'hands-on'." Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2012
- "Terence Lau is 'our go-to guy' and one client says, "he is responsive and hands-on, and has the ability to navigate through extremely complex deals while minding all the details'." Chambers Asia-Pacific 2013
- "Terence Lau is a very strong lawyer, technically very sound and able to think outside the box when providing solutions. His drafting work is also fantastic – he's able to put the important points into writing in a succinct manner and provides customised advice and service every time." Chambers Asia-Pacific 2014
- "Terence Lau is 'very knowledgeable', 'very proactive' and 'goes the extra mile for client service'." Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2014
- "Terence Lau is a very diligent, capable and responsive lawyer, particularly good in providing advice on HK listing rule compliance and M&A transactions." IFLR 1000 2014
- "Terence Lau is 'very hands-on' and 'very attentive to detail', say admiring clients, 'he thinks ten steps ahead'." Chambers Asia-Pacific 2015
- "Terence Lau who is 'very hands-on' and a 'must for bankers'." Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015
- "Terence Lau is very hands-on, participates in all telephone discussions and provides commercial practical advice. I feel very secure working with him. " Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017
- "A client effuses: I believe he is one of the most technical lawyers in town for ECM work. He has deep understanding on the listing rules, guidance and decisions and is like a walking encyclopaedia in that space." Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019
- Solicitor, qualified in Hong Kong
- Advising UBS, Haitong International Securities and ABCI Capital on the US$199 million Hong Kong IPO and Rule 144A placing of Times Property Holdings Limited, one of the leading property developers in China.
- Advising CLSA, CITIC Securities, Credit Suisse, BOCOM International and CIMB Securities on the US$284 million Hong Kong IPO and Rule 144A placing of Macau Legend Development Limited, one of the leading owners of entertainment and casino gaming facilities in Macau and a gaming service provider in Macau.
- Advising Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, Standard Chartered, BOCOM International and First Shanghai on the US$215 million Hong Kong IPO and Rule 144A placing of CIFI Holdings, a PRC real estate developer.
- Advising Tongda Group Holdings Limited, a one-stop service provider of consumer electronics casings products, on a US$113.5 million issue of convertible bonds to PA Marco Opportunity VIII Limited.
- Advising CLSA on a US$50.7 million placing of new shares of CITIC Dameng Holdings, the world's largest producer of manganese.
- Advising UBS on a US$155 million rights issue by G-Resources Group Limited, an Asian gold mining company.
- Advising SIM Technology, a leading Chinese telecommunications company, on a US$22 million rights issue and whitewash waiver application.
- Advising Macau Legend Development Limited on its development of an integrated resort hotel and casino complex in Cape Verde with an expected investment amount of approximately US$277.4 million.
- Advising Top Spring International Holdings Limited on its US$341.4 million acquisition of the land and buildings on Buji Agricultural Products Centre Wholesale Market, Luohu, Shenzhen, PRC from Shenzhen Agricultural Products Co. Ltd. (a company listed on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange). The land and buildings are subject to urban renewal redevelopment and are to be re-developed.
- Advising Forex Investment Group on the sale of the equity interests in Beijing Leader & Harvest Electric Technologies Co., Ltd. to Affinity (a private equity house) for US$200 million, which was the largest private equity buy-out in China.
- Advising the directors representing Xinyi Glass Holdings Limited on its hostile takeover of ZMFY Automatic Glass Services Limited.
- Advising HSBC on the US$2.1 billion proposed privatisation of PCCW Limited – shortlisted for ALB Hong Kong M&A Deal of the Year 2009.
- Advising W.S. Wong & Sons on its unconditional partial cash offer of the shares in Wong’s International (Holdings) Limited.
- Advising Harbin Brewery Group in the defence of the hostile takeover by SABMiller Plc. and the recommended competing offer made by Anheuser-Busch for the company.
- Advising China Light & Power on its group restructuring by way of a scheme of arrangement and the establishment of CLP Holdings Limited.
- Mandarin Chinese
June 18, 2019
December 27, 2018
July 18, 2017
Publication | August 2018
Publication | July 2018
Publication | May 2018
Publication | May 2018