Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Cathy Singer practises corporate and securities law, with an emphasis on related-party transactions, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and corporate governance, including advisory mandates for issuers, investment dealers, managers and independent committees.
Ms. Singer also practises and has extensive experience in the area of investment funds, advising on all legal and related aspects for investment management and investment fund clients and assisting clients in navigating the evolving non-fund fund area that spans the investment fund and corporate issuer categories of issuer.
Prior to joining Norton Rose Fulbright in November 2001, Ms. Singer practised at another major law firm in Toronto. From mid-1996 to 1999, she was seconded to the Ontario Securities Commission as general counsel, and was involved in a broad range of securities transactions and the development of several significant policy initiatives. While at the commission, she had extensive involvement with take-over bids, mergers and acquisitions, related-party transactions and investment funds from the regulatory perspective.
Ms. Singer has been a frequent speaker on securities law-related matters. She is a past member of the Securities Advisory Committee to the Ontario Securities Commission.
LL.B., Western University, 1984
B.A., McGill University, 1981
- Ontario 1986
Ms. Singer has acted in the following transactions:
- Yamana Gold Inc. in its joint acquisition with Agnico Eagle Mining Limited of Osisko Mining Corporation for approximately $3.9 million (2014)
- Dundee Corporation with the spin-off of DREAM Unlimited Corp. by means of a plan of arrangement (2013)
- Dundee Capital Markets Ltd. with its privatization by Dundee Corporation (2012)
- DundeeWealth Inc. with an offering of $200 million principal amount of 5.10% unsecured Series 1 Notes (2009)
- Dundee Corporation with the issue in Canada of $130 million of Cumulative 5‑Year Rate Reset First Preference Shares, Series 2 (2009)
- The underwriters in connection with the initial public offering of DPF India Opportunities Fund (2007) and CMP Gold Trust (2007)
- Yamana Gold Inc. in its acquisition of Desert Sun Mining Inc. (2006)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012-2019: recommended in Corporate Finance & Securities; 2014-2017: recommended in Investment Funds & Asset Management; 2014-2019: recommended in Mining; 2016-2019: recommended in Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acritas Stars 2019 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2008-2017: Mutual Funds Law