Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Julie Himo practises primarily in corporate and commercial litigation and in the areas of banking, corporate restructurings, corporate and securities disputes, franchising law, privacy law and access to information, including in the context of class actions. She has been involved in a wide range of commercial litigation, namely in multijurisdictional fraud cases that require tracing, freezing and securing of assets and property, including in the context of frauds perpetrated by Ponzi schemes. She also has considerable experience with securities litigation, including in the context of acquisitions by way of plans of arrangements, and with extraordinary remedies, such as seizures and injunctions, particularly in the context of the enforcement of non-compete undertakings.
She also regularly advises clients on privacy matters arising from the collection, use and disclosure of personal data, security breaches, cross-border discovery and investigations, cross-border data flow requirements, behavioural advertising, as well as compliance with Canada's anti-spam legislation, including for on-line publishers.
Ms. Himo is regularly retained to advise clients regarding cyber security breaches, assisting with forensics experts, public relations firms and various other specialists in the clients' efforts to contain such breaches and to advise them on their notification requirements to the regulators across Canada.
She is chair of our Canadian privacy and access to information team.
Ms. Himo served as Montréal litigation chair from 2013 to 2016.
LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1996
- Quebec 1998
Ms. Himo has acted for the following clients:
- RONA inc. in connection with its take-over by Lowe’s Companies by means of a plan of arrangement.
- Yamana Gold Inc. in the acquisition of Osisko Mining Corporation
- Resolute Forest Products (formerly AbitibiBowater Inc.) in a dispute concerning post‑CCAA claims that could result from the partial wind‑up of pension plans
- Intact Insurance, one of the major unsecured creditors in the context of the restructuring of Montreal Maine & Atlantic Canada Co. under the CCAA
- BDO Limited, in defence of a securities class action and a secondary market claim in the context of the Sino‑Forest Corporation affair
- Resolute Forest Products in connection with its hostile takeover bid for Fibrek Inc., including several cease‑trade applications to prevent the use of a “poison pill” and the private placement of special warrants
- The court‑appointed liquidators of Stanford International Bank Ltd. in the context of a Ponzi scheme
- The liquidators of Tradex Ltd., an offshore company that had been used to defraud investors through a Ponzi scheme
- Computershare Trust Company in connection with the seizure of securities in the context of a corporate transaction
- A company in liquidation in the successful dismissal of a motion for authorization to institute a class action against the directors and officers arising from the mass dismissal of the employees
- Best Lawyers in Canada (2015-2018): Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada (2018): Franchise Law
- Who’s Who Legal Canada (2016): Asset Recovery
- Who's Who Legal Canada (2018): Business Law
- The Legal 500, Canada (2016): Dispute Resolution (Canada)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2018-2019: recommended in Litigation - Corporate Commercial; 2015-2017, 2019: recommended in Litigation - Securities; 2017: recommended in Insolvency & Financial Restructuring
- Benchmark Canada (2014): Litigation Star Canada, Insolvency; Local Litigation Star, Québec
- “Deep Dive into Payment Card Breaches,” continuing education session, Norton Rose Fulbright, November 2, 2016.
- “Cyber Fraud-Emerging Legal Tools,” C5 Conference on Fraud, Asset Tracing and Recovery, Miami, Florida, October 17, 2016.
- “Big data and the internet of things,” Vision 2016, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada Conference, Montreal, October 6, 2016.
- “Overview of data transfers to and from Canada,” continuing education session, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, Montreal, September 21, 2016.
- “Ten (or more) Commandments for Cross‑Border Insolvency Office‑Holders,” Financial Intelligence & Investigations, 13th Annual North American OffshoreAlert Conference, Miami Beach, Florida, May 4, 2015.
- “Les considérations pratiques et légales liées aux biens intangibles,” The Canadian Institute, Montreal, January 27, 2015.
- “La réforme du Code de procédure civile,” continuing education seminar offered by Norton Rose Fulbright, Montreal, January 22, 2015.
- “Extraordinary remedies in the context of insolvency matters,” The Canadian Institute, Montreal, October 23, 2013.
- “Model Orders concerning plans of arrangement,” Superior Court seminar, Bar of Montreal with the Commercial Division, Montreal, May 28, 2012.
- “Problèmes juridiques et principales démarches pouvant être entreprises face à des difficultés financières,” continuing education session, Ogilvy Renault (now Norton Rose Fulbright), Montreal, June 18, 2009.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Co-chair, Pan-Canadian Conference on Insolvency and Restructuring (2008 and 2009)
- Chair, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section, Quebec Branch (2008‑2009)
- Member of the executive, National Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section (2008‑2009)
- Member of the executive, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section, Quebec Branch (2006‑2008 and 2009‑2010)
- Member, Legislation and Law Reform Committee (2011‑2014)
- Co-chair, Subcommittee on the Reform of the Code of Civil Procedure (2011‑2012)
- International Bar Association
- Committee J (Insolvency, Restructuring and Creditors’ Rights)
- Liaison Committee of the Bar of Montreal with the Quebec Superior Court, Commercial Division (2008‑2015)
- International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
- International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Professionals
- Association of Quebec Women in Finance
- Insolvency Institute of Canada
Publication | August 20, 2019
Publication | May 08, 2019
Publication | March 28, 2019
Publication | January 2019