Jane E. Caskey
Global Head of Risk Advisory
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Jane E. CaskeyvCard
Related services and key industries
Jane Caskey is global head of our risk advisory practice. She currently sits as a member of our global executive committee.
Ms. Caskey's risk advisory practice involves working with global clients to identify, mitigate, and manage key risks across their businesses in a holistic and strategic manner, across business units and geographies, which includes analyzing the current and emerging risks within the context of the commercial goals of our clients and their risk culture and appetite. Ms. Caskey's background is intellectual property law, including all aspects of trademarks and patent litigation. She has specialized knowledge of remedies, including complex transfer pricing and damages issues and recovery. She is also involved in advising clients on strategy for protecting IP rights, including, trade secrets and data in relation to digital and cyber risks.
Ms. Caskey has extensive experience as an advocate at both the trial and appellate levels and appears regularly before the Federal Court of Canada and the Superior Court of Justice of Ontario. She also participates in resolving client issues through negotiation/alternative dispute resolution and has broad experience as an advocate on arbitrations and mediations.
- Ontario 1996
- Canada (trademarks) 2007
Ms. Caskey has acted for the following clients:
On S+P 400 consumer products company on risk-based due diligence and subsequent transaction in an acquisition across more than 45 countries
A US bank in respect to a sensitive AML audit
An international consumer health company on a global risk and conduct controls GAP analysis and audit
A global pharmaceutical company on crisis management preparation
Pfizer Inc. in relation to damages in section 8 and infringement disputes for Lipitor
GlaxoSmithKline in relation to multiple patent infringement actions and damages references, section 6 and section 8 PM(NOC) proceedings for numerous drugs, including RETROVIR, COREG, AVODART, and VALTREX
Merck in relation to a damages reference following a judgment of infringement and validity of Merck's patent for lisinopril
Eli Lilly in multiple patent infringement and section 6 PM(NOC) proceedings
Boehringer Ingelheim providing patent strategic advice
Warner Chilcott plc in its acquisition and financing of Procter & Gamble's worldwide pharmaceuticals business for US$3.1 billion and its regulatory, market access and branding strategy
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Intellectual Property Law, 2013-2021
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Intellectual Property - Litigation, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Managing IP Stars (2018): IP Star – Patent Star Canada
- Chambers Global: Canada, 2012-2018: Intellectual Property: Litigation, 2018
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2018): recommended in Intellectual Property Law
- World Trademark Review (2013-2018) – expert in enforcement and litigation
- The Legal 500 Canada (2016): Intellectual Property: Litigation
- Ranked under "Trade Mark" in Legal Media Group's Guide to Leading Women in Business Law, 2014
- 2012 Canada's Most Powerful Women: Top 100™ Award Winner
- Ranked "Excellent" under Patent Litigation and Trademarks by Leaders League: Innovation – Technology & Intellectual Property (2011)
- Lexpert's Leading Litigators to Watch (2008)
- Lexpert's Top 40 Under 40 (2007)
- Crisis Management," Northwind, September 26, 2017.
- "Disconnect in the Canadian Courts' Approach to Drug Patents - Favouring Economic Rights over Exclusivity yet Falling Short on Compensation," Insight, January 2006.
- "Intellectual Property License Agreements (Patents and Trade-marks): Obligations of the Licensee," The Canadian Institute, December 8, 2004.
- International Trademark Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- The Advocates' Society
- IP Osgoode Law School
- Huron University College Corporation
- Women's Law Association (former director)
- Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada (former director)
Update | November 18, 2020
Publication | October 21, 2020
Webinar | Thursday, June 13, 2019
Publication | May 10, 2019