Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Horia Bundaru is a well-respected strategy advisor and litigator who acts for large corporations and financial institutions in complex legal disputes, primarily in commercial law, construction law and energy law.
Mr. Bundaru has pleaded before the Quebec courts, the Federal Court of Canada and arbitration boards. He is very active in the legal community, including the Canadian Bar Association, Quebec branch, of which he is the outgoing chair, and the Bar of Montreal, where he chaired the Salon visez droit committee for many years.
Mr. Bundaru has an in-depth knowledge of the legal system. In addition to teaching civil procedure as part of the Quebec Bar Admission Course, he is chair of the liaison committee of the Bar of Montreal with the Court of Appeal and outgoing chair of the liaison committee with the Superior Court of Quebec in Civil Matters.
Mr. Bundaru is a Fellow of the Canadian College of Construction Lawyers and is chair of the executive committee of the construction law section of the Canadian Bar Association, Quebec branch.
Mr. Bundaru has earned numerous accolades for his pleading skills and strategic input and is a sought-after speaker.
He was named one of the best speakers at the Charles-Rousseau international law moot competition and, from 2007 to 2011, he led the McGill University Faculty of Law moot team. In 2011, Mr. Bundaru was named best speaker at the French public speaking contest of The Junior Bar Association of Montreal and won first place (ex aequo) at the Prix Paris-Montréal de la Francophonie.
B.C.L./LL.B., McGill University, 2005
- Quebec 2006
Mr. Bundaru has acted for the following clients recently:
- Hydro-Québec in two major historical disputes with Churchill Falls (Labrador) Corporation Ltd., as well as in connection with several litigation matters arising from the construction of the La Romaine hydroelectric complex
- SNC-Lavalin Inc., in numerous contract disputes pertaining primarily to construction law
- Loto-Québec, in connection with various contractual and regulatory litigation and disputes
- CDPQ Infra Inc., in connection with two litigation matters regarding the REM light-rail project
- Royal Bank of Canada, with various contractual disputes
- Bombardier Inc., with various contractual disputes
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Construction Law, 2023-2024; Alternative Dispute Resolution, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2024
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2021-2023: Consistently recommended Lawyer in Litigation - Corporate Commercial; Consistently Recommended Lawyer in Construction Law
- Benchmark Litigation Canada, 2022-2023: Litigation Star
- Thomson Reuters Stand-out Lawyers, 2022-2023
- Fellow of the Canadian College of Construction Lawyers
- The Legal 500 Canada, 2023: Dispute Resolution - Quebec (Leading Lawyer)
- Lexpert Special Edition: 2022: Leading Lawyer in Litigation and Energy
- Lexpert Special Edition: 2021 and 2022: Leading Lawyer in Infrastructure Law
- Prix de la relève Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf, 2012
- First place (ex aequo) at the 2011 Prix Paris-Montréal de la Francophonie
- Prix de l'Orateur Francophone 2011, French oratory contest of The Junior Bar Association of Montreal
- "Projets d'infrastructure: éviter ou faciliter le traitement des réclamations, est-ce possible?" (moderator), CBA-Québec conference lunch, Construction section, November 8, 2022.
- Chair, 2021 Canadian Bar Association Construction and Infrastructure Law Online Symposium.
- "COVID-19 : impacts sur les contrats commerciaux," webinar, communauté Zù, April 30, 2020.
- "L'hypothèque légale dans les projets de construction et d'infrastructure : une sûreté suffisante?" 30th Construction Superconference, The Canadian Institute, November 27, 2019.
- "Règles en matières civiles et actions collectives dans les nouvelles Directives du district de Montréal" (with the Honourable Benoît Emery, JSC and the Honourable Chantal Chatelain, JSC), Seminar of the Superior Court/Bar of Montreal, June 10, 2019.
- "L'hypothèque légale en droit de la construction - où en sommes-nous?" (with M.-P. Desmeules), CBA-Québec conference lunch, Construction section, November 7, 2017.
- "La gestion de l'instance à la Cour supérieure de Montréal : où en sommes-nous?" (with the Honourable Jean-François Michaud, JSC), Seminar of the Superior Court/Bar of Montreal, May 11, 2017.
- Canadian Bar Association, Quebec branch
- Board of directors (since 2019)
- Member (since 2019)
- Chair (2021-2022)
- Outgoing chair (2022-2023)
- Construction law section
- Member (since 2017)
- Chair (2020, 2022-2024)
- Bar of Montreal
- Liaison committee with the Quebec Superior Court, Civil Division
- Member (2015-2020)
- Chair (2017-2020)
- Liaison committee with the Court of Appeal
- Member (since 2020)
- Chair (since 2021)
- Salon VISEZ DROIT committee
- Member (2014-2021)
- Chair (2016-2018)
- Chair of the ad hoc 2020 Salon Visez Droit committee (2018-2019)
- The Advocates' Society
- Member (since 2018)
- Théâtre La Licorne (since 2012)
- Member, board of directors (2012-2020)