J. Andrew Pritchard
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
J. Andrew PritchardvCard
Related services and key industries
Andrew Pritchard practises corporate and commercial law with an emphasis on energy-related projects, including real estate, and land use and development.
Mr. Pritchard has extensive experience in business acquisitions, dispositions, financings and energy project development, including land use and development rights and the structuring of project ownership and management, including private-public partnerships. He represents financial institutions and borrowers regarding secured transactions and commercial lending matters.
- LL.B., University of Manitoba, 1980
- Ontario 1982
Clients for whom Mr. Pritchard has acted as counsel include:
- Acted as counsel to TransAlta Renewables Inc. as part of Norton Rose Fulbright Canadian team in connection with reorganization and C$260 million bond offering, by way of a private placement, for its indirect majority-held subsidiary, Kent Hills Wind LP (the issuer), secured by a first ranking charge over all assets of the issuer including the 96 MW Kent Hills I wind facility, the 54 MW Kent Hills II wind facility and the planned 17.25 MW Kent Hills III expansion
- Acted as lead of Norton Rose Fulbright Canadian team regarding the acquisition by Axium Infrastructure Inc. of a 100% equity interest in an 84 MWAC (110 MWDC) solar portfolio from Renewable Energy Trust. The portfolio comprises eight solar PV facilities: two in California, three in Georgia and three in Ontario
- Acted as counsel to Ontario purchaser of 10 run-of-the-river hydro generation facilities (six in Ontario and four in the state of New York) representing approximately 30.9 MW of installed operating capacity
- Acted as real estate and regulatory counsel to TransAlta Renewables Inc. as part of Norton Rose Fulbright Canadian team in connection with the reorganization and $159 million bond offering for its indirect wholly owned subsidiary New Richmond Wind L.P. (the issuer) secured by a first ranking charge over all assets of the issuer, including the 67.8 MW wind generating facility located in the municipalities of New Richmond, Caplan and Saint-Alphonse (Quebec)
- Acted as real estate and regulatory counsel to TransAlta Renewables Inc. as part of Norton Rose Fulbright Canadian team in connection with reorganization and $442 million bond offering for its indirect wholly owned subsidiary Melancthon Wolfe Wind LP (the issuer) secured by a first ranking charge over all assets of the issuer including: (i) the 67.5 MW Melancthon I renewable wind generating facility located in Melancthon Township near Shelburne, Ontario; (ii) the 132 MW Melancthon II renewable wind generating facility located adjacent to Melancthon I in Melancthon and Amaranth Townships, Ontario; and (iii) the 197.8 MW Wolfe Island renewable wind generating facility located in the Township of Frontenac Islands, near Kingston, Ontario
- Acted as counsel to investor regarding acquisition of interests in Ontario limited partnership owning and operating ground mount solar photovoltaic system including amendments to limited partnership agreement; amendments to project financing/credit agreements
- Acted as counsel to AIM PowerGen Corporation in connection with developing various wind farm projects, including 99 MW Erie Shores Wind Farm; the acquisition of land use rights to support the development, installation and operation of wind farms; the negotiation of joint use rights with Hydro One Networks Inc.; and project financing and ultimate disposition of interests in those projects
- Acted as counsel to project developers and system aggregators regarding development and financing of portfolio of rooftop photovoltaic energy capture and generation systems comprising 76 projects – 18.1 MW (Ontario FIT program)
- Acted as counsel to investment fund in connection with acquisition of rooftop photovoltaic energy capture and generation systems pursuant to Ontario's FIT 1.0 and 2.1 programs
- Acted as counsel to Greenfield Energy Centre LP in the development and ultimate financing of a 1,005 megawatt generating facility in southwestern Ontario, including negotiation and acquisition of necessary land interests for generating facility; related servicing and transmission lines
- Acritas Stars 2021 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Banking and finance law, corporate law, 2012-2021
- Acritas Stars 2020 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Lawyer of the Year, 2016, 2018 and 2020 – Banking and Finance (Ottawa)
- International Financial Law Review 1000, Canada: Capital markets: debt; Mergers and acquisitions, 2021
- Acritas Stars 2019 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars 2018 – Designated as a "Star" lawyer by a panel of over 4,300 clients
- Acritas Stars 2017 – Designated as a "Star" lawyer by a panel of over 3,000 global senior in-house counsel)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2013-2021: recommended in Banking & Financial Institutions; 2018-2021: recommended in Energy (Electricity); 2013-2016, 2021: recommended in Infrastructure Law; 2020-2021: recommended in Corporate Commercial Law
- Law professor, University of Ottawa Faculty of Law – Secured Transactions (2017-2019)