Partner, Patent Agent
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Marie-Hélène Rochon’s practice focuses on intellectual property, with particular emphasis on patent prosecution (including patentability assessment and patent portfolio establishment and management), opinion work (patent infringement, patent validity, eligibility of listing on the Patent Register and pharmaceutical pricing implications) and litigation technical support. She provides strategic advice to clients regarding patent portfolio management, especially in view of advances in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical fields, worldwide patent eligibility criteria as well as the Canadian landscape. She also conducts customized training sessions in which she discusses important patent portfolio management issues, such as strategic IP drafting and filing decisions, patent eligibility assessments and recent domestic and foreign jurisprudence.
Dr. Rochon has in-depth knowledge of life sciences. She has unique experience in protecting and analyzing inventions relating to biologicals (antibodies, blood products, vaccines), biotechnology tools (diagnostic methods, screening assays, antibody-based, peptide-based and nucleotide-based reagents), personalized medicine, therapeutic approaches (such as cellular-based and gene-based therapy), food science and natural products. During her undergraduate studies she trained in the use of various molecular biology research techniques. At the master’s level she specialized in molecular biology, microbial genetics and polymer biochemistry. Dr. Rochon’s doctoral research focused on tissue engineering.
Ph.D., Molecular and Cellular Biology, Université Laval, 2003
M.Sc., Food Science, Université Laval, 1998
B.Sc.(Hons.), Microbiology/Immunology, McGill University, 1996
- Canada (patents) 2004
- United States (patents) 2005
- “Médicaments biologiques : bien connaître les enjeux pour tirer son épingle du jeu,” 10th annual Quebec City Healthcare Industry Forum, Quebec City, November 29, 2016.
- “Médicaments biologiques – L’application d’un paysage juridique conventionnel à un paradigme moderne,” 90th annual meeting of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, Quebec City, September 29, 2016.
- “Protecting your intangible asset” at the Research Institute of the McGill University Health Center, Montreal, April 15, 2016.
- “Personnalisée : enjeux de PI,” pharmaceutical and life sciences law conference, Quebec City, December 1, 2014.
- “Les médicaments biologiques,” University of Sherbrooke faculty of law during the "Quinzaine Cascades," Sherbrooke, QC, March 31, 2014.
- “Multiple Locations: Development Opportunity or Source of Headache,” International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys, 14th Open Forum, Sorrento, Italy, October 4, 2013.
- “La valeur de l’intangible : gérer ses actifs de PI pour en faire un levier économique,” 4th annual Pharmaqam conference, UQAM, Montreal, September 19, 2012.
- “America Invents Act - Les Répercussions dans votre quotidien” (co-presenter: Alexandra Daoud), l'École de Technologie Supérieure, Montreal, March 22, 2012.
- “Building a Patent Portfolio in a World in Motion - A North American Perspective” (co-presenter: David Resnick), Biotech City 10th Anniversary Symposium, Laval, QC, March 3, 2012.
- “Agricultural IP Protection in North America,” Agriculture 2.0 conference, Toronto, November 8, 2011.
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys
Publication | December 2016
Health Canada releases revised guidance document on approval pathway for biosimilars (formerly “subsequent-entry biologics”)
Publication | December 2016
Pharma in brief - Federal Court strikes biologic PM(NOC) application on account of non-infringement of use claims
Publication | June 2016